University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Amman Citadel: Remains of the theater, view before restoration

figure
posted on 2017-07-03, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
Ptolemy II Philadelphus, the Macedonian ruler of Egypt, renamed it Philadelphia. The city became part of the Nabataean kingdom until 106 CE when Philadelphia came under Roman control and joined the Decapolis. The ancient city consisted of the citadel, or acropolis, built in three terraces rising from west to east on a steep-sided, L-shaped hill, and the lower town in the valley of the Wadi \u201BAmman to the south. Below the citadel, along the south bank of the wadi, were the forum, the odeium, the theatre and the nymphaeum, all built under the Roman Empire. The theatre (2nd century) is built into the hill; its auditorium has been restored, and part of the stage building, with Corinthian columns and curved exedra, remains in place. The city came under Byzantine rule before being conquered by the Muslims in 635 CE.

History

Alt Title

Jabal al-Qal'a

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-03

Spatial Coverage

Amman, Amman, Jordan|Amman|+31.9547+35.9343

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

Imperial (Roman)

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC