University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Athens Acropolis: Temple of Athena Nike: Overall view, seen from above

figure
posted on 2017-07-03, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
West wall of the Propylaia is visible to the right\u000a\u000aThe final temple to be built on the Acropolis was a marble structure dedicated to Athena Nike. The bastion immediately south-west of the gateway to the Acropolis had accommodated the cult of Athena Nike since the first half of the 6th century BC. At some time, perhaps as late as the mid-5th century BC, a small naiskos (shrine) of poros limestone had been built to enclose an early base, and a new monolithic limestone altar with mouldings had been erected to its east, replacing an earlier altar. The naiskos in turn was replaced by the Ionic amphiprostyle temple, reconstructed on the site today. Its small scale counteracts the bulky proportions of its columns, which have capitals almost identical to those of the Propylaia, though half their size. Work on the temple probably began c. 435\u2013425 BC. While later than the Propylaia, it was clearly already planned before the Propylaia had progressed far. The architect is unknown. Towards the end of the 5th century BC a sculpted parapet was added around the edge of the bastion.

History

Alt Title

Temple of Athena Nike

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-03

Spatial Coverage

Athens +37.971722+23.725139 Akrópolis (Athens, Periféreia Protevoúsis, Greece): south west corner of the Acropolis to the right of Propylaea

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Greek (ancient)', 'Classical']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC