University of Notre Dame
3 files

Augsburg Cathedral: Detail, southern portal with visitors

posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
These portals mark the original course of the Reichsstrasse and are akin to city gates. Both of them, the south portal in particular, were seen by the citizens as the attributes of the bishop and the city, and viewed as proof of their right of way through the cathedral. The south portal facing the town is more elaborate. (Grove)\u000a\u000aUnder Bishop Henry II (reigned 1047-1063), a Romanesque aisled basilica (consecrated 1065) with a double choir, western transept, crypt and side towers (completed later) evolved. The Romanesque bronze door of the south aisle portal dates from around the time of consecration or later (since 2002 protected in Augsburg's Diocesan Museum. Gothic alterations were carried out from 1326, including the vaulting of the west choir, transept and nave (1331-1339), the addition of two extra aisles and the construction of the eastern hall choir (designed 1343; consecrated 1431) with an ambulatory and radiating chapels. The south portal, understood to have been underway only from 1356, suggests the style of the Parler family. Both portals of the eastern choir have a programme based on the life of the Virgin and thereby make reference to the dedication of the cathedral. The arms of burghers under the statues of the south portal are prominent, again ensuring that the citizens' claim on the cathedral was unmistakably stated.


Alt Title

Dom Unserer Lieben Frau

Date Created


Date Modified


Spatial Coverage

Augsburg|+48.372778+10.896667|Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Romanesque', 'Gothic (Medieval)']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections


    No categories selected


    Ref. manager