University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Basilica of Saint-Martin d'Ainay: Overall view of the apse end of the church and remnants of abbey

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
A Benedictine priory was founded on the Lyon peninsula in 859. When later it was raised to the rank of an abbey, major building works began: the abbey church was built at the end of the 11th century under Abbot Gaucerand, consecrated on 29 January 1107 and dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours by Pope Pascal II. This church is today one of the rare Romanesque churches still extant in Lyons. By the end of the 17th century the monastic community had ceased to exist. The church and remaining buildings were handed over to a secular chapter in 1685. The church became a parish church, and on 27 January 1780, ceased to have the title of abbey. It was classed as a monument historique in 1844, and during the course of the 19th century was restored in a Romanesque Revival style by the architects Pollet and Beno\u00F4t in a 'pure Romanesque' spirit, destroying the last remains of the cloister and enlarging it by the addition of side chapels. The church was raised to the rank of basilica by Pope Saint Pius X on 13 June 1905.

History

Alt Title

Basilique Saint-Martin d'Ainay

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

Lyon, Rhône-Alpes, France +45.753712+4.827239 Lyon

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

Romanesque

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC