University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Brussels Town Hall: Overall view of the facade from Grand-Place

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
In the 15th century civic buildings, such as the H\u00F4tel de Ville (completed 1455) in the Grand-Place, the main market-place, began to compete with the religious buildings in their number and artistic quality. It is one of the most important secular Gothic buildings in Brabant. It consists of two wings divided by a tall, central bell-tower and was built in at least three campaigns under different architects including Jacob van Thienen (fl 1377-1406) and Herman de Voghele. The last phase, which included work on the richly Flamboyant superstructure of the tower, was finished in 1455 by Jan van Ruysbroeck. It was thoroughly restored during the 19th century under the supervision of Tieleman Franciscus Suys and Victor Jamaer.

History

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

+50.8465+4.3518|Brussels|Brussels, Bruxelles, Belgium

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Flamboyant', 'Late Gothic']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC