University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Certosa di Pavia: Partial view of church, west facade

figure
posted on 2017-07-03, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
Giangaleazzo Visconti, 1st Duke of Milan, founded the Carthusian monastery, the Certosa, in fulfilment of his wife's will of 1390. Work progressed slowly after Giangaleazzo's death in 1402, but Francesco Sforza revitalized the project after becoming Duke of Milan in 1450. Guiniforte Solari guided construction through the period of its most concentrated activity in the second half of the 15th century. The church was consecrated on 3 May 1497, although work continued until the French invasion of Lombardy in 1523, resuming on the fa\u00E7ade only in 1550. The fa\u00E7ade of the church is famous for its exuberant decorations, typical of Lombard architecture.

History

Alt Title

Charterhouse of Pavia|Gratiarum Chartusia

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-03

Spatial Coverage

Certosa di Pavia|Certosa di Pavia, Lombardy, Italy: 8 km north of Pavia|+45.257+9.148

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Renaissance', 'Gothic (Medieval)']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC