University of Notre Dame
3 files

Château de Chantilly: View of the gate, entrance court

posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The Château de Chantilly is a historic château located in the town of Chantilly, France. It comprises two attached buildings; the Grand Château, destroyed during the French Revolution and rebuilt in the 1870s, and the Petit Château which was built around 1560 for Anne, Duc de Montmorency. It is now owned by the Institut de France, and is open to the public. The first mansion (no longer extant, now replaced by the Grand Château) was built in 1528-1531 for the Constable Anne de Montmorency by Pierre Chambiges. The Petit Château was also built for him, around 1560, and probably by Jean Bullant. The original mansion was destroyed in the French Revolution. It was repaired in a modest way by the last Condé, but then entirely rebuilt in 1875-1881 by Henri d'Orléans, duc d'Aumale (1822-1897) to the designs of Honore Daumet. The château’s art gallery, the Musée Condé, houses one of the finest collections of historical paintings in France (after the Louvre), with special strength in French paintings and book illuminations of the 15th and 16th centuries. The library of the Petit Château contains over 700 manuscripts and 12,000 volumes, including a Gutenberg Bible, Les très riches heures du Duc de Berry and Jean Fouquet’s Book of Hours of Etienne Chevalier.


Date Created


Date Modified


Spatial Coverage

Chantilly +49.193889+2.485833 Château de Chantilly (Chantilly, Picardy, France): 40 kilometres north of Paris

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Renaissance', 'Renaissance Revival']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections


    No categories selected


    Ref. manager