University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Church of Saint Francis: Overall view, from the Place Saint-François

figure
posted on 2017-07-05, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
Lausanne was originally a suffragan of the archbishopric of Lyon (certainly by about the seventh century). The Franciscan church of St. François was built 1258-1272. Throughout the Middle Ages, the church was the heart of a sizable monastic complex sheltered by the southern city wall. The nave had to be fully renovated after Lausanne’s devastating fire in 1368, at which time the clock tower was also added, and chapels and murals were donated by wealthy families in the 14th and 15th centuries. The other monastic buildings have not survived; the last remaining walls of the monastery were demolished between 1895 and 1902. In 1536 it became a Swiss Reformed parish church.

History

Alt Title

Église St-François

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-05

Spatial Coverage

Lausanne, Vaud, Switzerland +46.519686+6.633346 Lausanne

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

Gothic (Medieval)

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC