University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Church of Saints Gervais and Protais: Overall view, west facade by de Brosse

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The church's existence at this site is mentioned as early as the fourth century. Dedicated to Gervasius and Protasius, the church was formerly the seat of the powerful brotherhood of wine merchants. The present church was begun in the Gothic style in 1494, the chapels of the apse were finished in 1530 and the transept in 1578. The Late Gothic choir has been attributed to Martin Chambiges; his name was included in a list summoned to approve the reconstruction in 1500; his son Pierre is buried in the church. In 1616 de Brosse designed the west facade. Here he faced the problem of how to combine a classical fa\u00E7ade with a tall Gothic nave. Several experiments with three-storey fa\u00E7ades were made in France in the early 17th century. De Brosse's solution was to adapt the three-storey ch\u00E2teau frontispiece with superimposed orders, as exemplified in de L'Orme's corps-de-logis at Anet, and the result--with its three orders of fluted columns, Doric portico and bold, segmental pediment--was highly original if somewhat stark.

History

Alt Title

SS Gervais et Protais

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

Paris +48.855556+2.354444 Paris, Île-de-France, France

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Mannerist (Renaissance-Baroque style)', 'Late Gothic']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC