University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Church of San Bernardino: Interior, Pellegrini Chapel with niche tabernacles

figure
posted on 2017-07-03, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The altarpiece, from 1579 (Madonna with Child and St. Anne) is by Bernardino India, while the lunette has an Eternal Father by Pasquale Ottino.\u000a\u000aThe first important public architectural project under the Venetians (doge Francesco Foscari) was the construction (1452-1466) of S Bernardino, still on Gothic lines but with some Renaissance decorative elements. One of Sanmicheli's most sophisticated and admired buildings is the Pellegrini Chapel (ca. 1527), attached to the church of S Bernardino. Approached from a short vestibule, the tall chapel is of circular plan, with a dome concealed externally by a drum in the North Italian manner. The interior was inspired by that of the Pantheon, having a radial plan with large recesses on the main axes and tabernacled niches between them. The upper storey has a balcony, perhaps intended for a choir. Richly embellished with exquisite carving, the execution, as Vasari observed, appears to defy the immense technical difficulty of adapting so complex a design to a curving wall surface and realizing it in stonework. The church is part of a Franciscan monastery.

History

Alt Title

Chiesa di San Bernardino

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-03

Spatial Coverage

+45.438889+10.981389|Verona|Verona, Veneto, Italy

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Late Gothic', 'Renaissance']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC