University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Geneva Cathedral: View of two transept towers, apse and central spire

figure
posted on 2017-07-05, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The present structure, dedicated to St. Peter, is a transitional Romanesque-Gothic work, begun in the 1160s and finished ca. 1232. It is small (l. ca. 70 m) and built to a basilical plan. The two transept towers represent the survival of a Carolingian tradition of building that was common in the Middle and Upper Rhine regions. The general plan was influenced by Cistercian churches, with two rectangular chapels at the east end of each transept. The cathedral retains its carved capitals, which are among the finest Romanesque and Gothic examples of this form of sculpture in Switzerland. It is known as the adopted home church of John Calvin, one of the leaders of the Protestant Reformation. Inside the church is a wooden chair used by Calvin. The Neoclassical facade was added in 1750.

History

Alt Title

Cathédrale Saint-Pierre de Genève

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-05

Spatial Coverage

Geneva Geneva, Genève, Switzerland +46.201111+6.148611

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Gothic (Medieval)', 'Romanesque']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC