University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Grand Palais: Exterior detail, base of columns at entrance with sculptures

figure
posted on 2024-02-01, 17:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie

A number of allegorical statue groups including work by sculptors Paul Gasq and Alfred Boucher.


Girault had done temporary structures for Exposition Universelle, Paris, of 1889 and of 1900. He also erected two structures that were intended to outlast the 1900 exhibition: the Petit Palais, which was entirely his own work, and the Grand Palais, of which he was principal architect, working in partnership with Henri-Adolphe-Auguste Deglane, Albert Louvet (1860-1936) and Albert-Théophile-Félix Thomas (1847-1907). The two buildings flank the broad Avenue Alexandre III, just off the Avenue des Champs-Elysées. The façades are interpretations of 18th-century French architecture. Behind exterior façades built entirely of stone, the Grand Palais is in fact one great iron-framed and glass hall (almost 240 metres long). Its plain interior décor centres on a grand staircase leading to the upper galleries.

History

Alt Title

Grand Palais des Champs-Elysées

Date Created

1910-01-01

Spatial Coverage

+48.866136+2.312465 ParisParis, Île-de-France, France: 8th arrondissement: 3, avenue du Général-Eisenhower

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

Beaux-ArtsNineteenth centuryTwentieth century

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC