University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Koninklijke Nederlandse Schouwburg Gent: Facade, viewed from St. Bavo's Square

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The square is now open, the statue has been removed.\u000a\u000aBuilt at the end of the 19th century after a design by architect Edmond De Vigne. The large sgraffito-painted tympanum is an allegorical tableau depicting Apollo and the Muses by Constant Montald. The architectural style of the theatre's interior is neo-Renaissance and eclecticism. The theater company in Ghent was dissolved after WWII and not reestablished until 1965 with the founding of NTG (Nederlands Toneel Gent/ Dutch Theater Ghent). The former name (1871-1945) was Koninklijke Nederlandse Schouwburg Gent (the Dutch Royal Theater, Ghent).

History

Alt Title

Public Theater, Ghent

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

Ghent|+51.053462+3.725745|Ghent, Flanders, Belgium

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Renaissance Revival', 'Nineteenth century']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC