University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Le Mans Cathedral: View of the east apsidal end with bifurcating flying buttresses

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The cathedral, which combines a Romanesque nave and a High Gothic choir, is notable for its rich collection of stained glass and the spectacular bifurcating flying buttresses at its eastern end. The extant cathedral was partially rebuilt on various occasions between the late 11th century and the 15th. In 1151 Geoffrey, Count of Anjou, was buried in the cathedral. It subsequently benefited from the generosity of his son, Henry II of England, who endowed a chapel for Geoffrey, from which survives Geoffrey's famous enamelled funerary plaque (Le Mans, Musee Tess\u00E9), and provided lead for roofing. In 1217 the chapter was given royal permission to breach the Gallo-Roman wall and build a new choir. The first stone of the north transept remodelling was laid in 1403, and the work was finished around 1430. Two architects worked on it, Jean de Lescluze (fl 1420s) and Jean de Dammartin. It is dedicated to Saint Julian of Le Mans, the city's first bishop, who established Christianity in the area around the beginning of the 4th century.

History

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

Le Mans, Pays de la Loire, France|Le Mans|+48.009167+0.198889

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Romanesque', 'Rayonnant', 'Gothic (Medieval)']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC