University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Magdalen College, Oxford: View of Magdalen Tower, seen from the High Street

figure
posted on 2017-07-06, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The tower contains a peal of ten bells hung for English change ringing.\u000a\u000aMagdalen College was founded in 1458 by William of Waynflete, Bishop of Winchester. It stands next to the River Cherwell and has within its grounds a deer park and Addison's Walk. The large, square Magdalen Tower is a famous Oxford landmark, and it is a tradition since the days of Henry VII that the college choir sings from the top of it at 6 a.m. on May Morning. The Great Tower was built between 1492 and 1509 by William Orchard (who also built the Cloister). Magdalen Bridge was designed by John Gwynn of Shrewsbury and built 1772-1790; widened in 1882. The Grove Buildings are the newest, built in the 1990s in a traditional style.

History

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-06

Spatial Coverage

+51.751-1.246|University of Oxford (Oxford, England, United Kingdom)|University of Oxford

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Twentieth century', 'Late Gothic', 'Eighteenth century']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC