University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

New Saint-Elisabeth Begijnhof in Sint-Amandsberg: Exterior view, Sint-Amandsberg Begijnhof

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
Chapel dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua (?), part of the New Saint-Elisabeth in Sint-Amandsberg Begijnhof (built 1873-1874).\u000a\u000aA B\u00E9guinage (Dutch; begijnhof) is a collection of small buildings used by Beguines, which were several lay sisterhoods of the Roman Catholic Church, founded in the 13th century in the Low Countries, of religious women who sought to serve God without retiring from the world. There are three in Ghent; Old Saint-Elisabeth (known as Holy Corner), New Saint-Elisabeth in Sint-Amandsberg (built 1873-1874 when Holy Corner was abandoned) and Our-Lady Ter Hooyen (known as Klein). St Elisabeth Begijnhof and the Klein Begijnhof were both founded in 1234. The entire group of Flemish B\u00E9guinages was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Arthur Verhaegen was the architect in charge of the new Sint-Amandsberg complex. Duke Engelbert von Arenberg had this neo-Gothic complex built in 1873-1874 to house 300 Beguines. The new beguinage was laid out within an 8-hectare walled area in Sint-Amandsberg, then an independent municipality but now part of Ghent.

History

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

Ghent|Ghent, Flanders, Belgium: between the Jan Roomsstraat and the Engelbert van Arenbergstraat|+51.056992+3.747941

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Gothic Revival', 'Nineteenth century']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC