University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Palatine Hill: Imperial Palace Complex: Extension of the Imperial Palace by Caligula

figure
posted on 2017-07-03, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
Ancient resources as well as recent archaeological evidence suggest that, at one point, Caligula had the palace extended to annex the Temple of Castor and Pollux on the Forum\u000a\u000aAccording to Roman mythology, the Palatine Hill was the location of the cave, known as the Lupercal, where Romulus and Remus were found by the she-wolf that kept them alive. During the Empire (27 BCE-476 CE) several emperors resided there; in fact, the ruins of the palaces of Augustus (27 BCE-14 CE), Tiberius (14-37 CE) and Domitian (81-96) can still be seen. Overlooking the Forum Romanum is the Flavian Palace which was built largely during the reign of the Flavian dynasty (69 -96); Vespasian, Titus and Domitian. This palace, which was extended and modified by several emperors, extends across the Palatine Hill and looks out over the Circus Maximus. The building of the greater part of the palace visible from the Circus was undertaken in the reign of the emperor Septimius Severus (146-211). The two houses on the Palatine Hill in Rome belonging to Augustus and his wife Livia conform in their layout to the traditional house type, as best known from examples in Pompeii and were relatively modest. The Domus Aurea built by Nero covered part of the Palantine Hill.

History

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-03

Spatial Coverage

Rome, Lazio, Italy|Rome|+41.888333+12.486944

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

Imperial (Roman)

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC