University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Pulpit, Cathedral of Pisa: Overall view

figure
posted on 2017-07-03, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
Appears to be in a museum and is likely a plaster cast. Giovanni Pisano's pulpit in Pisa Cathedral, was probably commissioned by Burgundio di Tadio, Operaio of the Cathedral Works, who is recorded in the inscription; it replaced an earlier pulpit by Guglielmo, now in Cagliari Cathedral. The pulpit was dismantled after a fire in 1595 and has suffered much damage from restorations, particularly those of Peleo Bacci (1926-1929). This, the most sumptuous of the Pisano pulpits, is of unprecedented size. The interpretation of its complex iconographic programme, probably at least partly devised by the Dominicans of S Caterina, Pisa, is controversial. The octagonal pulpit has a central support formed by three caryatids, clearly modelled on Classical prototypes and representing Faith, Hope and Charity; they stand on an octagonal pedestal adorned with figures of the Liberal Arts and Philosophy. The pulpit was originally coloured, as described in later documents, but only traces of this remain.

History

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-03

Spatial Coverage

Pisa|Pisa Cathedral (Pisa, Tuscany, Italy)|+43.723333+10.395278

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

Gothic (Medieval)

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC