University of Notre Dame
3 files

Rouen Cathedral: Tomb of Richard "the Lionheart"

posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The base of the effigy (gisant) has now been replaced with a plain block. Richard's heart is buried here, his body is at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou.\u000a\u000aThe present building comprises an aisled nave of 11 bays, with a series of aisle chapels, and an apsidal choir with an ambulatory and three spaced radiating chapels. The substantial transept arms are aisled on both sides, with large eastern chapels, and developed portals flanked by towers. A massive lantern tower lights the crossing. The two western towers, the Tour St. Romain (1160-1170) to the north and the Tour de Beurre to the south, flank the fa\u00E7ade, rising beyond rather than above the western aisle bays. The south-west tower, the Tour de Beurre (so named because it was traditionally financed by a papal indulgence whereby people could eat butter during Lent provided they paid a fine to the building fund), was built by Guillaume Pontis and Jacques Le Roux between 1487 and 1507. The cathedral is still being restored after extensive damage in World War II. The only Romanesque remnant is the crypt, some re-used capitals and part of the Tour St. Romain. The current central spire (Tour Lanterne) is the highest spire in France, erected in 1876, a cast-iron tour-de-force rising 490 ft.


Alt Title

Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Rouen

Date Created


Date Modified


Spatial Coverage

Rouen +49.4402+1.095 Rouen, Haute-Normandie, France: Place de la Cathédrale

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Flamboyant', 'Gothic (Medieval)']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections


    No categories selected


    Ref. manager