University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Royal Palace of Aranjuez: Partial view of central courtyard with center facade and left wing

figure
posted on 2017-07-05, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
Spanish palace that stands beside the rivers Tagus and Jarama in the province of Madrid. It was intended as a spring and summer residence for the royal family and is renowned for its gardens and fountains. The old palace was extensively enlarged by Philip II. The chapel was designed by Juan Bautista de Toledo and completed by Jer\u00F3nimo Gili and Juan de Herrera. It was built in a combination of white stone from Colmenar de Oreja and brick, giving a two-toned effect that was adopted for the rest of the palace. In 1571 work began on the cuarto nuevo, as the new palace was described, beside the chapel. The gardens at Aranjuez are among the most important in Spain. They were first created by Philip II and their continued development was made possible by the plentiful supply of water.

History

Alt Title

Palacio Real de Aranjuez

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-05

Spatial Coverage

Aranjuez|Aranjuez, Madrid, Spain|+40.03613-3.608004

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Sixteenth century', 'Baroque']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC