University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Saint Bavo Cathedral: Overall view, main facade

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The abbey of St Bavo was founded in the 7th century AD outside the walls, and it was destroyed in 1540 when Charles V built the new citadel (later destroyed). In 1539 the chapter had been moved to the parish church of St Jan, which was rededicated to St Bavo. A chapel dedicated to St Jan (St. John) is documented in the 10th century, and of its Romanesque successor (1038) part of the crypt, which extended under the choir, survives. In 1550 the Emperor granted a considerable sum for the completion of the building, which was finished nine years later, achieving Cathedral status in 1559. The choir was vaulted in 1628.

History

Alt Title

Sint Baafskathedraal

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

Ghent|+51.053+3.727|Ghent, Flanders, Belgium

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Rayonnant', 'Late Gothic']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC