University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Saint Martin-in-the-Fields: Overall view, seen from Trafalgar Square

figure
posted on 2017-07-06, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
St Martin-in-the-Fields is an Anglican church, dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours. The church survived the Great Fire of London which did not reach as far as the City of Westminster, but was replaced with a new building, designed by James Gibbs in 1721 and completed five years later. The design was criticized widely at the time, but subsequently became extremely famous, being copied particularly widely in the United States. The church is essentially rectangular, with a great pediment in the Classical style supported by a row of huge Corinthian columns. The high steeple is topped with a gilt crown. Gibbs was certainly inspired by Sir Christopher Wren as the interior is very similar to St James's in Piccadilly. St Martin-in-the-Fields is a synthesis of Italian Baroque, the Antique and the Palladian.

History

Alt Title

St. Martin-in-the-Fields

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-06

Spatial Coverage

London, England, United Kingdom|+51.508889-0.126944|London

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Baroque', 'Eighteenth century']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC