University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Salpêtrière Hospital: Distant aerial context view of the Salpêtrière complex

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The Salpêtrière was originally a gunpowder factory (‘salt peter’ being a constituent of gunpowder). In 1669 Bruand [Bruant] succeeded Pierre Le Muet as director of works at the Hôpital de la Salpêtrière, which had been founded by Cardinal Jules Mazarin in 1656 on the outskirts of Paris to house mendicants and others. [It served as a prison for prostitutes, and a holding place for the mentally disabled, criminally insane, epileptics, and the poor.] The following year Bruand began construction of its domed, centrally planned chapel, St .Louis de la Salpêtrière. Four rectangular naves forming a Greek cross radiate from its octagonal crossing. The Pitié-Salpêtrière is now a general teaching hospital with departments focusing on most major medical specialities.

History

Alt Title

Hospice de la Salpêtrière

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

Paris +48.837+2.365 Paris, Île-de-France, France

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Seventeenth century', 'Neoclassical']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC