University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Santa Maria Maggiore: Interior view of nave looking towards altar

figure
posted on 2017-07-03, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
Fuga designed the great porphyry and bronze baldacchino, erected 1750. The figures on top seen in this view have been removed.\u000a\u000aSituated at the end of the Esquiline Hill and formerly known as S Maria ad Praesepem, S Maria Maggiore was traditionally founded by Pope Liberius (reigned 352-366) and financed by Johannes, a rich citizen, after a miraculous summer snowfall. It is more likely, however, that it was founded in the early 5th century by Sixtus III, whose name appears in the mosaics of the triumphal arch in front of the apse. Until the 12th century, when Eugenius III (reigned 1145-1153) built the narthex, work on the church was mainly limited to maintenance. The mosaic decoration of S Maria Maggiore was executed in the 5th and 8th centuries; the earlier scheme, in the Classical tradition, comprises the most important mosaic cycle in Rome of this period. Chapels were added and other changes in subsequent centuries; Longhi and Fuga are responsible for changes to the facade (ca. 1743).

History

Alt Title

Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-03

Spatial Coverage

+41.8975+12.498611|Rome, Lazio, Italy: Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore|Rome

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Eighteenth century', 'Early Christian']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC