University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

St. James's Palace: Main entrance, gatehouse, southern end of St. James's Street

figure
posted on 2017-07-06, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The gatehouse on the north side survives from the Tudor period, flanked by polygonal turrets with mock battlements, fitted with Georgian sash windows.\u000a\u000aThe palace was commissioned by Henry VIII, on the site of a former leper hospital dedicated to Saint James the Less. St. James's Palace is one of London's oldest palaces. It is situated in Pall Mall. Although no sovereign has resided there for almost two centuries, it has remained the official residence of the Sovereign and the Royal Court. Foreign ambassadors are still accredited to the Court of St. James's. In 1809, much of the east and south ranges of the Palace was destroyed by fire, but the State rooms were restored by 1813.

History

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-06

Spatial Coverage

London, England, United Kingdom|London|+51.504722-0.1375

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Nineteenth century', 'Sixteenth century', 'Tudor']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC