University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Westminster Abbey; West Portal and Towers: Overall view, lower half of western facade

figure
posted on 2017-07-06, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The abbey's two western towers were built between 1722 and 1745 by Nicholas Hawksmoor, constructed from Portland stone to an early example of a Gothic Revival design. Further rebuilding and restoration occurred in the 19th century under Sir George Gilbert Scott. 'In 1723, on the death of Wren, he became architect to Westminster Abbey, the west gable (1735) and towers (1734-1745) of which are his; they also are Gothic in texture and feeling rather than in detail. On this occasion the retiring side of his character extended to architecture, and few post-medieval completions have been so sympathetically successful.'

History

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-07-06

Spatial Coverage

+51.499444-0.1275|London|London, England, United Kingdom: located just to the west of the Palace of Westminster

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

Gothic Revival

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC