University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Église Saint-Pierre de Senlis: Detail, west facade and main portal

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The northern bell tower (left) is Romanesque, ca. 1050 (the lower half; the top has a conical spire from 1431). The southern bell tower is Renaissance. The west facade overlooks Place Saint-Pierre, the market-square. After it ceased being a church following the Revolution it became a covered market (1881), which saved it from demolition. It was used by the city until 1979; it is now closed because of its poor condition. There has been a church on the site since the Merovingian period. The northern bell tower is Romanesque, ca. 1050 (the lower half; the top has a conical spire from 1431). The rest of the present church dates from 1250-1590. The west facade dates from 1510 to 1530 in Flamboyant style.

History

Alt Title

Church of Saint Peter, Senlis

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

Senlis|Senlis, Picardy, France|+49.20635+2.5879

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Flamboyant', 'Romanesque', 'Renaissance', 'Gothic (Medieval)']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC