University of Notre Dame
Browse
1/1
3 files

Église de la Sainte-Trinité: Interior, nave looking towards altar, showing choir and organ lofts

figure
posted on 2017-06-30, 00:00 authored by G. Massiot & cie
The choir is ten steps higher than the nave and surrounded by an ambulatory. There are two organs on the balconies. One of the great Parisian churches built during the Second Empire as part of Baron Haussman’s plans. The monumental appearance of La Trinité corresponds to the worldly nature of its parishioners, and its decoration is rich and theatrical, combining French and Italian Renaissance elements applied to a Gothic Revival structure. The porch tower is a sort of campanile topped by a dome and linked to the church by an open structure with a pitched roof. Exterior figures of Faith, Hope, and Charity on the church were sculpted by Eugène-Louis Lequesne.

History

Alt Title

Church of the Holy Trinity

Date Created

1910-01-01

Date Modified

2017-06-30

Spatial Coverage

Paris +48.877222+2.331389 Paris, Île-de-France, France

Temporal Coverage

before or circa 1910

Cultural Context

['Gothic Revival', 'Nineteenth century']

Rights Statement

To view the physical lantern slide, please contact the Architecture Library.

Usage metrics

    Rare Books and Special Collections

    Categories

    No categories selected

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC