Hesburgh Libraries

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: Hesburgh Libraries remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This major convent was destroyed in 1806 and all that remains are a few vestiges of the church and the partial bell tower, which were incorporated into the structure of the Lycée Saint-Joseph built on the site in the middle of the nineteenth century. The church was originally constructed in the 14th century. This typical Avignonnais church consisted of a single nave with lateral chapels built under the buttresses. The bell tower, however, belongs to the same style as that of the Carmelites or…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It was built from 1863, during Haussmann’s redesign of the city, by Joseph Auguste Émile Vaudremer, the architect charged with designing the 13th and 14th arrondissements. It occupies a triangular site bounded by the avenue du Maine and the avenue du général-Leclerc, and its bell-tower faces the quarter’s central square. St Pierre (completed 1870) combines French Romanesque with Early Christian and Italian Romanesque styles derived from the cathedrals of Ravenna, Palermo and Monreale,…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Benedictine abbey of St Etienne was founded c. 1060 by William the Conqueror in expiation for his marriage to his cousin Matilda of Flanders. Three consecrations mark the stages of construction, carried out from east to west: 1073, 1077 (the choir, transepts and two bays of the nave) and 1081 (the remaining six nave bays); the façade towers and the western nave bay were built in the last decade of the 11th century. The Romanesque east end was replaced in the later 12th century.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Listed as a historic monument in 1862. The parish church of St. Martin dates from the late twelfth century. It was damaged during the Wars of Religion and restored several times including 1724 and 1847. The polygonal spire steeple, struck by lightning Feb. 27, 1882, was restored. The nave has a ribbed vault with domes on pendentives. The facade is Romanesque, with two courses of blind arcades.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    According to tradition there has been a Saint-Pierre Church on this site since the seventh century, housing the tombs of the first bishops of Avignon (most notably Saint-Agricol, 600-700). Rebuilding was initiated in 1358 by Cardinal Pierre des Pres. The steeple was added in 1495, the facade dates from 1512-1525. The tall, solid walnut doors sculpted by Antoine Volard in 1551 are striking for the richness of their typical late Renaissance decoration: baskets, putti bearing cornucopias, sheath…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This ornate Neo-Byzantine church is situated at the highest natural point in Marseille, a 162 m (532 ft) limestone outcrop on the south side of the Old Port. Adjoining the church of Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde, who is supposed to protect sailors, Espérandieu built a watchtower surmounted by a monumental statue in an almost military style, which harmonizes with the remains of a 16th century fort that serves it as a base. The square bell-tower of 41m (135 feet) is surmounted by a belfry of 12.5m (42…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cult of Saint Paterne Orleans was introduced by Britons fleeing the Norman invasions of the tenth century. The church was formerly called St. Pouair. Until the Revolution, it was a priory attached to the abbey of Saint-Père de Chartres. There was great destruction of the suburbs and their churches in the Hundred Years War (1337-1453), twice by the citizens themselves to avoid their serving as retrenchment for the English. In 1429 the siege was lifted by Joan of Arc, ‘Maid of Orléans&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Since the twelfth century, Saint-Martin-des-Champs was one of the three parishes of Morlaix. The parish church was built in 1485 and was twice damaged by lightning in 1751 and 1771 . The original village of Saint-Martin-des-Champs is now part of the town of Morlaix.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public