Hesburgh Libraries

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: Hesburgh Libraries remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Château-l'Évêque castle, sometimes called Saint-Vincent castle, is an episcopal castle of the 14th through 16th centuries. It has been registered as an historic monument since 1938. It was used as the summer residence of the Bishops of Périgueux. Adhémar de Neuville, Bishop of Périgueux, built the castle in 1347. It is noted as the site of the ordination of Vincent de Paul (1581-1660) to the priesthood, performed in the chapel of the castle by François de Bourdeilles, Bishop of Périgu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Louis IX’s chapelle Saint Louis (Sainte-Chapelle) at the castle is a major work of the Rayonnant phase of French Gothic architecture.

    The first castle, named the Grand Châtelet, was built on the site by Louis VI ca 1124. The castle was expanded by Louis IX of France in the 1230s. Louis IX’s chapelle Saint Louis (Sainte-Chapelle) at the castle is a major work of the Rayonnant phase of French Gothic architecture. It served as a prototype for the Sainte Chapelle in Paris. In 1539 Franci…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public