Hesburgh Libraries

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: Hesburgh Libraries remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Nave of the veteran’s chapel, adorned with military flags.

    Part of Les Invalides complex built for veterans, this was the first chapel built. In 1676 Hardouin Mansart was commissioned to build the church of the Hôtel des Invalides, after Libéral Bruand, who designed the rest of the complex, failed to produce a satisfactory scheme. For this almost monastic establishment for disabled soldiers, Hardouin Mansart created a bipartite building: the first part [Église St-Louis], a nine-bay nave …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [The church is an example of a Gothic structure clothed in Renaissance detail, and has been attributed to Italian-born architect Domenico da Cortona by Bannister Fletcher. It contains the largest church pipe organ in France.] The initial, original architect is unknown. Nicolas Le Mercier (1541-1637), father of Jacques Le Mercier, worked on St. Eustache as a master mason. Seven chapels were original to the plan, two decorated by Mignard and Lafosse. In 1851 Barrias decorated the chapel of St L…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Chapel of St. Agnes

    [The church is an example of a Gothic structure clothed in Renaissance detail, and has been attributed to Italian-born architect Domenico da Cortona by Bannister Fletcher. It contains the largest church pipe organ in France.] The initial, original architect is unknown. Nicolas Le Mercier (1541-1637), father of Jacques Le Mercier, worked on St. Eustache as a master mason. Seven chapels were original to the plan, two decorated by Mignard and Lafosse. In 1851 Barrias decorat…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Jesuit College was built in 1580 by Henri de Lorraine, Duke of Guise, who was married to Catherine of Cleves, 26th Countess of Eu. The chapel was built in 1613 by Catherine of Cleves, in memory of her late husband, assassinated at Blois in 1588. The chapel is dedicated to St. Ignatius Loyola. The building is a mixture of Renaissance and Louis XIII (the facade) styles. The chapel contains the tombs of Henri de Guise and Catherine of Cleves with their effigies.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Collegiate Church of St. Peter and St. Gaudens, with its cloister and chapter house, this was one of the most important religious buildings in the Comminges. It was home to a college of canons ordinary, a community founded by Bishop Bertrand (charter of 1059). The 11th century Romanesque church, built on the typical Pyrenean plan as a basilica with a nave and two aisles, stands on the site of an earlier construction. It was extended in the 12th and 13th centuries with the construction of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An expiatory chapel, Notre-Dame de Consolation, was built on the location of the Bazar. The Bazar de la Charité was an annual charity event organized by the French Catholic aristocracy in Paris from 1885 onwards. It is best known for the fire at the 1897 bazaar that claimed 126 lives, many of them aristocratic women, the most notable of whom was Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Alençon, née Sophie Charlotte of Bavaria. The disaster was reported nationally and internationally. This chapel is …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Miègecoste Chapel, which maintains a statue of a Black Virgin in its nave, dates from the fourteenth century. Destroyed during the French Revolution, it was rebuilt between 1820 and 1899. The name Miegecoste derives from “à mi-côte” or halfway up a hill which overlooks Aspet. The statue (made of wood, 160 cm high) dates from about 1680, replacing a Black Virgin of the 4th century. This copy was itself documented as a Black Virgin in 1682. The statue was hidden during the Revolution …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Jesuit College was built in 1580 by Henri de Lorraine, Duke of Guise, who was married to Catherine of Cleves, 26th Countess of Eu. The chapel was built in 1613 by Catherine of Cleves, in memory of her late husband, assassinated at Blois in 1588. The chapel is dedicated to St. Ignatius Loyola. The building is a mixture of Renaissance and Louis XIII (the facade) styles. The chapel contains the tombs of Henri de Guise and Catherine of Cleves with their effigies.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The building no longer has the tall spire, or the side tower.

    The chapel was built in the 19th century over ruins from the 12th century. Luz-Saint-Sauveur had become a spa and resort and was frequented by Napoleon III and Eugenie in the 1860s. Napoleon III was attracted to the ruins and their history and decided to rebuild a chapel there dedicated to the dead of the Battle of Solferino (June 4, 1859). The modern International Red Cross was founded (and the Geneva Conventions established) as …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Château’s chapel, dedicated to Saint Louis, was constructed in 1882 by the architect Honoré Daumet. The architect was inspired by the chapel in the Château d'Ecouen, which was constructed by Jean Bullant in the 16th century. Elements such as the altar (attributed to the sculptor Jean Goujon), the marquetry panelling and the two stained glass windows (1544) come from this chapel. These facing windows represent (on the left) the son of Le Connétable Anne de Montmorency protected by …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Château’s chapel, dedicated to Saint Louis, whose statue by Marqueste dominates the exterior façade, was constructed in 1882 by the architect Honoré Daumet at the request of the Duc d'Aumale, more or less on the same spot where the old chapel stood before the Revolution.

    The Château de Chantilly is a historic château located in the town of Chantilly, France. It comprises two attached buildings; the Grand Château, destroyed during the French Revolution and rebuilt in the 1870s, an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public