Hesburgh Libraries

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: Hesburgh Libraries remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A collegiate church because of the presence of a college of canons. Begun in 1225, it was built on the ruins of an abbey founded in 511 by St. Clotilde , wife of Clovis. Classified as a monuments historiques in 1840. Construction and improvement continued until the late seventeenth century, and major restorations were performed in 1860. The facade is 13th century. The south doorway is Flamboyant style. The north porch was built under King Henry II in Renaissance style. The church had a centra…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Work on the portal may have been initiated before Suger’s death (1151). Damaged during Revolution and was both re-cut and restored.

    Former Benedictine abbey (cathedral since 1966) in France, situated in the northern suburbs of Paris. The first church on the site was built in the 5th century ad, and Saint-Denis was the principal French royal monastery from the 7th century until the Revolution. Founded as the tomb and shrine of St Denis (died ca. 258 CE), evangelist and first bishop of Par…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The new church, begun by Blanche de Castille in the second quarter of the 13th century, was consecrated in 1239 by Eudes Rigaud, archbishop of Rouen. The Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais parish church fuses Gothic and Renaissance architecture. The three-storey Gothic choir dates from 1249. A helicoid staircase gives access to the organ; of Renaissance style, it was influenced by the staircase of the castle of Blois (Loir-et-Cher). The Grosse Tour (“Big Tower”) of the church (the north to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The new church, begun by Blanche de Castille in the second quarter of the 13th century, was consecrated in 1239 by Eudes Rigaud, archbishop of Rouen. The Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais parish church fuses Gothic and Renaissance architecture. The three-storey Gothic choir dates from 1249. A helicoid staircase gives access to the organ; of Renaissance style, it was influenced by the staircase of the castle of Blois (Loir-et-Cher). The Grosse Tour (“Big Tower”) of the church (the north to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public