Hesburgh Libraries

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: Hesburgh Libraries remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Collectively designed by Résal and Alby, the engineers, and Cassien-Bernard and Cousin, the architects, for the 1900 World Exhibition. The figures of Pegasus have recently been re-gilded to their original splendor. Pont Alexandre III is an arch bridge that spans the Seine, connecting the Champs-Élysées quarter and the Invalides and Eiffel Tower Quarter of Paris. The bridge, with its exuberant Art Nouveau lamps, cherubs, nymphs and winged horses at either end, was built between 1896 and 1900. …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Henry IV laid out the Parterre du Tibre south of the Cour de l'Ovale and the Cour des Offices. It was so called because of the statue and fountain at its centre. Under Louis XIII, Louis Le Vau redesigned the Parterre du Tibre (1662).

    Henry IV made considerable alterations and additions to Fontainebleau. He enclosed a new courtyard (begun 1599) to the north of the Galerie François I and Cour de l'Ovale around the Jardin de la Reine (now the Jardin de Diane). The Jardin de Diane is now…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Musée du Vieux Toulouse owns a plaster model made by Falguière. The final fountain was completed by Laporte (Falguière’s student). There are changes in the design from the model to the executed fountain, but the iconography remains the same. The personification of the Garonne River spreads its arms between the rocks of the Pyrenees where it originates. The Ariege, below, discharges its water through an urn, symbolizing the function of a tributary of the Garonne. The fountain was origi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The left portal (Porte St-Jean) is an important survivor of the 12th-century Early Gothic period. The tympanum depicts the martyrdom of St. John the Baptist. In the lower register, Salome performs a balancing act (like a medieval jongleur) before King Herod, John is executed, and his head is presented on a platter. The upper register illustrates the legend that John was taken into heaven in ecstasy just before his death.

    The present building comprises an aisled nave of 11 bays, with a series…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    At the center of the span, Nymphs of the Seine with the arms of France correspond with Nymphs of the Neva with the arms of Imperial Russia on the other face; both are executed in hammered copper over forms by Georges Récipon.

    Collectively designed by Résal and Alby, the engineers, and Cassien-Bernard and Cousin, the architects, for the 1900 World Exhibition. The figures of Pegasus have recently been re-gilded to their original splendor. Pont Alexandre III is an arch bridge that spans the Sei…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The main statue, a personification of the city of Nimes, is surrounded by four seated statues, whose basins collect water. The four figures, two male, two female, represent the four water sources of the Nimes region; the fountain (natural spring) of Nimes, the Gardon River, the spring of Eure and the Rhone River. Each of these representations is identified by its Latin name, engraved on its base: Nemausa, Vardo, Ura, Rhodano.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This has been attributed to Jean Goujon. However, the marble sculptures on the tomb (1544) of Louis de Brézé, husband of Diane de Poitiers, do not correspond to Goujon’s style in execution; it is possible that he provided only the design for this remarkable two-storey classical structure, which has Corinthian columns on the lower tier and pairs of caryatids articulating the upper register.

    The present building comprises an aisled nave of 11 bays, with a series of aisle chapels, and an ap…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Hôtel de Ville (French for “City Hall”) in Paris, France, is the building housing the City of Paris’s administration; it has been the location of the municipality of Paris since 1357. In 1871, the Paris Commune chose the Hôtel de Ville as its headquarters, and as anti-Commune troops approached the building, Commune extremists set fire to the Hôtel de Ville destroying almost all extant public records from the French Revolutionary period. The blaze gutted the building, leaving…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Latona Fountain by Balthazar Marsy.

    In 1661, when Louis XIV began to enlarge the château of Versailles, the surrounding grounds were in a rudimentary state. The King acquired further land (at the end of his reign the estate extended over 2473 ha, now reduced to 815 ha) and had gardens designed and laid out by André Le Nôtre which would harmonize with Le Vau’s new building. Louis paid the greatest attention to the design of the gardens, visiting them daily whenever at Versailles. The grou…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Work on the portal may have been initiated before Suger’s death (1151). Damaged during Revolution and was both re-cut and restored.

    Former Benedictine abbey (cathedral since 1966) in France, situated in the northern suburbs of Paris. The first church on the site was built in the 5th century ad, and Saint-Denis was the principal French royal monastery from the 7th century until the Revolution. Founded as the tomb and shrine of St Denis (died ca. 258 CE), evangelist and first bishop of Par…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This statue has been moved from the crypt to a side chapel of the nave and assembled into one monument to Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette.

    The change during the Renaissance in attitudes towards the affirmation of the individual is reflected in the later royal tombs at Saint-Denis. As with the medieval tombs, some were commissioned for the abbey, while others were brought in at a later date from their original places in various Paris churches, having been dismantled during the Revolution and r…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Commissioned by Francis I in 1516, was completed only in 1531. Possibly designed by Guido Mazzoni or Jean Perréal, it shows signs of an attempt to combine the French and Italian traditions in a monumental style. The two naked recumbent figures of the King and Queen, visible through the arcading of the superstructure, were placed beneath representations of the royal couple shown kneeling at prayer on top of the monument. These strikingly realistic figures are attributed to Guillaume Regnault (…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public