Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The construction of the cathedral began in 1434, on the site of a Romanesque cathedral, and took 457 years to finish, finally reaching completion in 1891. The first architect in charge was Guillaume de Dammartin who was later replaced by Mathurin Rodier. The construction began with the west façade, the aisles of the nave and its lateral chapels. Most of the stained glass dates from ca. 1500-1516. The rest of the north transept and the choir, under the direction of St. Felix Seheult (city arch…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This church was previously the collegiate church of Notre-Dame-du-Bourg, which in 1992 was raised to the status of co-cathedral. The nave and choir are Gothic. Main works inside; wood choir stalls (1530), large organ (1682), pulpit (1760). Classified as an historic building since 1914. It was reconstructed and heavily restored in the nineteenth century following damage in the French Revolution.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The early 12th-century church of St. Front, Périgueux is a close copy either of San Marco in Venice or its model the Holy Apostles (destroyed) in Constantinople. Such a connection can only mean that the patrons were embarking on a bid to have Saint Front, a shadowy figure who converted the region in antiquity, raised to a status equivalent to that of the Apostles themselves. This bid was probably inspired because the church was one of the pilgrimage sites on the route to the Cathedral of Sant…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The early 12th-century church of St. Front, Périgueux is a close copy either of San Marco in Venice or its model the Holy Apostles (destroyed) in Constantinople. Such a connection can only mean that the patrons were embarking on a bid to have Saint Front, a shadowy figure who converted the region in antiquity, raised to a status equivalent to that of the Apostles themselves. This bid was probably inspired because the church was one of the pilgrimage sites on the route to the Cathedral of Sant…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The seat of the Bishop of Orléans. The first building was burnt in 989. A second building, one of the biggest in France, was built in the 11th-12th century, following the plan of the great pilgrimage churches. Partly collapsed in 1278, only part of its foundations survive. The third cathedral was built between 1287 and 1530, with an interruption during the Hundred Years War. The cathedral is probably most famous for its association with Joan of Arc. The French heroine attended evening Mass in…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This view seems to be a film negative.

    The present church was built between 1160 and 1230 at the initiative of Bishop Arnulf. From the outset, the architect conceived quadripartite rib vaults and flying buttresses. It is one of the earliest Gothic buildings in Normandy. The nave, quite austere, was inspired by the Gothic of the Ile-de-France, while the last parts built in the thirteenth century (the chevet, the lantern tower and the west facade) is the Norman style. In 1553, the south tower …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The outer walls of the present cathedral of St Trophîme are normally assigned to the Carolingian period. The church was reconstructed with a nave and aisles in the Romanesque style during the first quarter of the 12th century, and a new Gothic choir was built in the mid-15th. The Romanesque sculpture can be divided into four distinct groups: the nave capitals, the façade and the north and east cloister galleries. The nave capitals, which derive from late antique Corinthian forms, have been da…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pulpit visible on the right.

    Dedicated to St Pierre, Angoulême Cathedral is one of the most distinguished buildings in western France, despite having been heavily restored and altered in the 19th century by Paul Abadie. It was built in the first half of the 12th century, with a consecration in 1128 during the episcopacy of the legate Girard d'Angoulême. The church has a cruciform plan with an aisleless nave of three bays, a transept and choir with radiating, apsidal chapels. The nave and…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It is an unusual building: the towers are grafted on to the fourth bay of the nave instead of being part of the façade; there is a 20th-century portal in the façade, but the four original portals open into the aisles; and two secondary apses project to the south at 90° to the nave. It originally comprised two separate churches oriented at right angles to one another. The nave is very high and Rayonnant in style. The cathedral possesses a large expanse of stained glass windows, dating from the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The early 12th-century church of St. Front, Périgueux is a close copy either of San Marco in Venice or its model the Holy Apostles (destroyed) in Constantinople. Such a connection can only mean that the patrons were embarking on a bid to have Saint Front, a shadowy figure who converted the region in antiquity, raised to a status equivalent to that of the Apostles themselves. This bid was probably inspired because the church was one of the pilgrimage sites on the route to the Cathedral of Sant…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1273 and finished only in 1888 when the nave was connected to the belltower. It is noted for its Renaissance rood loft built in 1534 and for the fine, partly octagonal, bell tower. The tower is 205 ft high, the three lower storeys being Romanesque and the four upper ones Gothic. The main artistic works in the cathedral are the Renaissance rood screen, now moved to the western end of the nave, and the tomb of the bishop Jean de Langeac, with sc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The height of the nave vault is 24 m. It is in four tiers, with clerestories and triforium under sexpartite vaulting.

    The cathedral of Notre-Dame is a classic example of Early Gothic architecture in France. Its five completed towers dominate the modern town. The earliest mention of a cathedral at Laon is in a poem by Alcuin of York (735-804). This structure was replaced by the present church. Laon Cathedral was accomplished in five major building campaigns. The central focus of the architect…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01