Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Two lionesses flank the central column whose significance is much debated. Discovered in 1841 by Greek archaeologist Kyriakos Pittakis. The site was popularized after Heinrich Schliemann arrived in 1874.

    Site in the north-eastern Peloponnese in southern Greece, 30 km south-west of Corinth. It is renowned for its Late Bronze Age (LBA) palace, tombs and fortifications. In Homeric epic it was the capital city of Agamemnon, leader of the Greek forces at Troy, and it now gives its name to the Myc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Soldiers depicted looting a menorah from the Temple of Jerusalem. The menorah depicted on the Arch served as the model for the menorah used on the modern emblem of the State of Israel.

    The classic example of the single-aperture arch is the monumental Arch of Titus in the Forum Romanum. Relief panels in the passageways depict the triumph of Titus (Triumph of Titus and Spoils of Jerusalem), and a rectangular panel in the soffit of the arch shows his apotheosis. (The arch was built by the emper…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palace was built in 1260 by Guglielmo Boccanegra, uncle of Simone Boccanegra, the first Doge of Genoa. For the construction of the new palace, materials were used from the demolition of the Venetian embassy in Constantinople, having been obtained from Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII as a reward for Genoese aid against the Latin Empire. Stone lions, the emblem of Venice’s patron St. Mark were displayed as trophies on the facade by her bitter rival, the Republic of Genoa. The palace was …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Luxor [now al-Uqsr] is the site of a temple dedicated to the god Amun, on the east bank of the Nile, 3 km south of Karnak. It was constructed and decorated primarily during the reigns of Amenophis III [Amenhotep III] and Ramesses II Ramses II. The earliest remains at the site date to the time of Hatshepsut, who built six way-stations for the bark of Amon-Re along the processional avenue bordered by sphinxes that connects Luxor and Karnak. The stone blocks of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public