Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It has two elliptical salons that form attached pavilions at the corners of the garden front.

    Built by Jacques Gabriel and his associate Jean Aubert, in 1728-1731. Since 1919 it has housed the Musée Auguste Rodin. The house is still surrounded by three hectares (7.3 acres) of grounds. The house had boiseries carved in the full-blown rococo manner and has two elliptical salons that form attached pavilions at the corners of the garden front.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Pieta is the central work.

    Several aristocratic residences dating from the Baroque era have survived and have been turned into public institutions: the Musée Calvet and the Médiathèque Ceccano (municipal library) were once palatial homes. The original owner, Joseph-Ignace de Villeneuve-Martignan, a member of the city council and first consul of Avignon, enlarged the house starting in 1734. The architects were Thomas Lainée and later Jean-Baptiste Franque and his son François. The garden wa…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Virgin and Child is at center; a tomb effigy is visible behind.

    Several aristocratic residences dating from the Baroque era have survived and have been turned into public institutions: the Musée Calvet and the Médiathèque Ceccano (municipal library) were once palatial homes. The original owner, Joseph-Ignace de Villeneuve-Martignan, a member of the city council and first consul of Avignon, enlarged the house starting in 1734. The architects were Thomas Lainée and later Jean-Baptiste Franqu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Museum of Fine Art, Valence was created in 1850 and has been installed in the old Bishop’s Palace since 1911. The Bishops palace, first built under Jean Gérard de Poitiers (1390-1448) was rebuilt and extended in the 18th century by Alexandre Milon, bishop from 1725 to 1771. The museum collection spans all time periods; the medieval collection contains sculptural fragments from various abbeys and the mosaic of the original baptistry.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem, also known as the Knights of Malta, settled in Mulhouse in the early 13th century and was the wealthiest and most influential order in the town. The chapel, built in the 13th century, was renovated and refurbished in the 14th and 15th centuries and is surrounded by a cemetery and commander´s residence. After the Reformation, the Knights left Mulhouse and the chapel was sold as communal property in 1798. It was converted into a brewery, the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem, also known as the Knights of Malta, settled in Mulhouse in the early 13th century and was the wealthiest and most influential order in the town. The chapel, built in the 13th century, was renovated and refurbished in the 14th and 15th centuries and is surrounded by a cemetery and commander´s residence. After the Reformation, the Knights left Mulhouse and the chapel was sold as communal property in 1798. It was converted into a brewery, the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tympanum depicting the city of Paris surrounded by muses is the work of sculptor Jean Antoine Injalbert.

    Girault had done temporary structures for Exposition Universelle, Paris, of 1889 and of 1900. He also erected two structures that were intended to outlast the 1900 exhibition: the Petit Palais, which was entirely his own work, and the Grand Palais, of which he was principal architect. The façades are interpretations of 18th-century French architecture and the Petit Palais in particula…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The East facade, by Claude Perrault, was constructed 1667-1674 and has a moat in front of it which was excavated and restored in the 1960’s.

    The building of the Louvre in its present form was begun in 1546 by François I, who also founded the royal collections, acquiring works by Leonardo, Raphael, and Titian. The modern Palais du Louvre comprises a square courtyard, the Cour Carrée, to the west of which project two wings. The north wing, the Galerie Napoléon, runs along the Rue de Rivoli…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Visible through the arch to the left is one of two winged human-headed bulls (Neo-Assyrian Period, reign of Sargon II) which once formed part of a palace gate.

    The building of the Louvre in its present form was begun in 1546 by François I, who also founded the royal collections, acquiring works by Leonardo, Raphael, and Titian. The modern Palais du Louvre comprises a square courtyard, the Cour Carrée, to the west of which project two wings. The north wing, the Galerie Napoléon, runs along th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built by Jacques Gabriel and his associate Jean Aubert, in 1728-1731. Since 1919 it has housed the Musée Auguste Rodin. The house is still surrounded by three hectares (7.3 acres) of grounds. The house had boiseries carved in the full-blown rococo manner and has two elliptical salons that form attached pavilions at the corners of the garden front.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The year after she became a widow in 1876, Marie Brignole-Sale (1812-1888), the Duchess of Galliera, decided to build a museum to display her art collection to her adopted hometown of Paris. With the help of the architect Leon Ginain, the neo-Renaissance building that houses the museum today was erected, and opened six years after her death in 1888. The collection, originally intended for the entire nation of France, was then re-given to the city of Paris only, when the French Government inte…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The occasional repository for historic stonework or masonry found from time to time in Paris. (Wikipedia)

    Thermes de Cluny are an ancient Gallo-Roman ruin lying in the heart of Paris which are partly subsumed into the Musée de Moyen Age-Hôtel de Cluny. The present bath ruins constitute about one-third of a massive bath complex that is believed to have been constructed around the beginning of the 3rd century. The best preserved room is the frigidarium with intact architectural elements such a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public