Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An ancient basilica in Rome, Italy. The church dates back to the 4th (or 5th) century and is devoted to four anonymous saints and martyrs. A new church was built on the site in the 12th century. The complex of the basilica is made up of two courtyards, the fortified Cardinal Palace with its Saint Silvester Chapel and the monastery.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Renaissance building in the central Piazza dei Signori in Vicenza, Italy. The most notable feature of the edifice is the loggia, which shows one of the first examples of what have come to be known as the Palladian window, designed by a young Andrea Palladio. The building was originally constructed in the 15th century and was known as the Palazzo della Ragione. In 1546 Andrea Palladio was chosen to reconstruct the building. Palladio named the building a basilica, after the Roman civil struct…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Roman Catholic church and minor basilica in Padua, Veneto, Northern Italy, dedicated to St. Anthony. Construction probably began around 1232 and was completed in 1310, with changes made at the end of the 14th century and the mid-15th century. The church is without a precise architectural style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A titular minor basilica in the Trastevere district of Rome. It is one of the oldest churches of Rome. The basic floor plan and wall structure of the church date back to the 340s, and much of the structure to 1140-43.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The sanctuary (Santuario della Santa Casa) consists of the basilica of S Maria, beneath the dome of which is situated the Santa Casa, the Holy House of the Virgin, encased within a structure designed by Bramante in 1509. The birthplace of the Virgin in Nazareth was popularly believed to have been rescued from infidels by angels, who transported finally to its present location in December 1295. The basilica is a Late Gothic structure continued by Giuliano da Maiano, Giuliano da Sangallo and Br…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revisions with them. In the 18 remaining years of his life Michelangelo succeeded in ‘uniting into a whole the great…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded by the Dominicans in 1125 as part of their friary. Also known as Basilica Cateriniana, since it contains several relics of St. Catherine of Siena, whose family house is nearby. The interior is on the Egyptian cross plan with a huge nave covered by trusses and with a transept featuring high chapels. The bell tower was reduced in height after an earthquake in 1798.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    One of two colossal basins, completed 1725 by Agostino Cornacchini; this one is on the south side of the nave.

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revision…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The sanctuary (Santuario della Santa Casa) consists of the basilica of S Maria, beneath the dome of which is situated the Santa Casa, the Holy House of the Virgin, encased within a structure designed by Bramante in 1509. The birthplace of the Virgin in Nazareth was popularly believed to have been rescued from infidels by angels, who transported finally to its present location in December 1295. The basilica is a Late Gothic structure continued by Giuliano da Maiano, Giuliano da Sangallo and Br…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Parish church and minor basilica; it is one of the Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome. According to tradition, the basilica was consecrated around 325 to house the Passion Relics brought to Rome from the Holy Land by St. Helena of Constantinople, mother of the Roman Emperor Constantine I. At that time, the basilica floor was covered with soil from Jerusalem, thus acquiring the title “in Hierusalem.” The church is built around a room in St. Helena’s imperial palace, Palazzo Sessorian…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded by the Dominicans in 1125 as part of their friary. Also known as Basilica Cateriniana, since it contains several relics of St. Catherine of Siena, whose family house is nearby. The interior is on the Egyptian cross plan with a huge nave covered by trusses and with a transept featuring high chapels. The bell tower was reduced in height after an earthquake in 1798.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revisions with them. In the 18 remaining years of his life Michelangelo succeeded in ‘uniting into a whole the great…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public