Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally part of a Benedictine convent (destroyed in Napoleonic times). For S Maria in Organo, Sanmicheli designed a stone façade (1547) that was completed only up to the level of the main entablature; above it there would probably have been an attic storey with a pediment at the centre. The composition, with a central portal and side windows, is common to other Veronese churches. The most famous works inside the church are the wood inlays (intarsia) of the choir and sacristy, which depict …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The second design commissioned by Giovanni Rucellai, the spectacular green-and-white patterned stone façade of S Maria Novella, was begun in or soon after 1458, the year in which Rucellai obtained rights of patronage, and was probably completed in 1470. For this project, Alberti was not only faced with the problem of devising a classical scheme for a church with a tall nave and lower side aisles, but he was also required to incorporate the beginnings of an earlier façade. To provide a visual …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The massive Palazzo del Bargello was begun in 1255 and was the seat of the Podestà from 1261. In 1574 it became the headquarters of the Bargello (the chief of police) and subsequently parts of the interior were converted into prison cells. A programme to restore the building was begun in 1857 and two years later, after the collapse of the grand duchy of Tuscany, one of the first acts of the provisional government was to establish a new museum in it for post-Antique works of art other than pai…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Shows the steep stairs from the lower plaza to the upper plaza and the road down to the entrance of the Lower Church.

    Founded in 1228 following the canonization ceremony for St. Francis, it is the mother church of the Franciscan Order. The building established many of the characteristics of Italian Gothic architecture. It is built into the side of a hill and comprises two churches known as the Upper Church and the Lower Church, and a crypt where the remains of the saint are interred. The fac…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Palazzo del Popolo (begun 1293), later the Palazzo dei Priori , has a remarkable frescoed hall, the Sala dei Notari. In Perugia the magistratura dei Priori, “magistrature of the first citizens”, was established in 1303: the palazzo had been called the Palazzo Nuovo del Popolo (“New Palace of the People”) to that point. Two more bays and a grand entrance portal were added to the piazza façade in 1333-1337, together with the arcaded loggia, where decrees were publicly read. …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The polygonal belltower, on the right of the portal, was rebuilt in 1463-1468 with Florentine-Gothic lines, based on a design by Bernardo Rossellino.

    A church and an abbey in Perugia. The Benedictine monastery was created around 996 over the former cathedral church. Its early patron was Pietro Vincioli (died 1007), a Perugian noble, later canonized. Pope Eugenius IV ordered the transfer of the abbey to the Cassinese Congregation, a reformed Benedictine congregation in 1436. From this point, …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Currently resembling a polygonal tower, it had once two floors. The upper one was demolished when the Rocca Paolina was built. It includes interior Baroque decorations commissioned from 1607. The main altar is made of a 4th century sarcophagus found in 1609. Sant'Ercolano is a patron saint of Perugia and died there in 549.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The facade has been restored so that the upper level arches are again an open loggia.

    A basilica in Rome located in the small Piazza di San Marco adjoining Piazza (and Palazzo) Venezia. It was built in 336 by Pope Mark and rebuilt in 833 by Pope Gregory IV. Besides the addition of a Romanesque belltower in 1154, the major change was ordered by Pope Paul II in 1465-1470, when the inside and the outside of the church was restyled according to the Renaissance taste. The façade (1466) was built …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Byzantine dome to the left and Romanesque campanile to the right. The main entry to the church is still through the attached campanile, not through this portico.

    In a Greek–Arab document of 1143, preserved in the archives of the Cappella Palatina, Admiral George of Antioch (a Greek and a principle minister of the Norman King Roger II of Sicily) declares that he has erected the church of S Maria and spared no effort or expense in its decoration. In 1139 a convent of Benedictine nuns was found…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Santi Giovanni e Paolo is an ancient basilica church in Rome, located on the Celian Hill. The church was built in 398, by will of senator Pammachius, over the home of two Roman soldiers, John and Paul, martyred under Julian in 362. The church was thus called the Titulus Pammachii and is recorded as such in the acts of the synod held by Pope Symmachus in 499. The church was damaged during the sack by Alaric I (410) and because of an earthquake (442), restored by Pope Paschal I (824), sacked ag…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Torrazzo of Cremona is the bell tower of the Cathedral of Cremona. At 112.7 metres (343 ft 6 in), it is the third tallest brickwork bell tower in the world, completed in 1309. It has an astronomical clock.

    Dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta (Our Lady of the Assumption). The cathedral was begun in 1107 with a plan typical of the Romanesque architecture of the Po valley and consecrated in 1190. It was radically altered in the later 12th century and the 14th to the Lombard Gothic style, with …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The construction of the Duomo Nuovo involved the most influential local architects. Ludovico Beretta prepared a design (untraced) in 1566 for the proposed rebuilding of Brescia Cathedral, which in 1567 was admired by Palladio for its ‘bella invenzione’; the cathedral was eventually reconstructed to a project (1604) by Giovanni Battista Lantana (1581-1627). Giovan Battista Marchetti (1686-1758) was responsible for the design of the façade and Rodolfo Vantini (1791-1865) for the steep d…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public