Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The New Cathedral is the largest Roman Catholic church in Brescia, Italy. Construction was begun in 1604. The original commission was given to Andrea Palladio, but the commission was then granted to Giovanni Battista Lantana. Work continued sporadically but was finally completed in 1825. The present dome was rebuilt after destruction in World War II. Its architectural style is characterized as Italian Baroque, with Baroque elements in the lower portion of the facade and Neoclassical elements…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cathedral in Bolzano, Italy is called a gem of Romanesque and Gothic architecture. It was consecrated in 1180, dedicated to the Assumption of Our Lady. There were earlier churches of the 13th and 14th centuries on the site, an early Christian basilica and a Romanesque church, with today’s Gothic cathedral built in the 16th century.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bolsena is known for a miracle said to have occurred there in 1263, when a Bohemian priest, in doubt about the doctrine of Transubstantiation, reported bleeding from the host he had consecrated at Mass. The Cappella del Corporale in Orvieto Cathedral lies on the north side of the main crossing. It was built between 1350 and 1356 to house the stained corporal of the miracle of Bolsena. The chapel also contains the tomb of St. Pietro Parenzo. The chapel is decorated with frescoes depicting on t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Romanesque belfry, standing at some 67 m, was erected over an ancient Lombard tower.

    It is the seat of the Bishop of Pistoia and is dedicated to Saint Zeno of Verona. Most probably built in the 10th century, it has a façade in Romanesque style, inspired by other churches in Pistoia (San Bartolomeo and San Jacopo). The interior has a nave and two side-aisles, with a presbytery and crypt. A restoration in 1952-1999 returned the church to its original lines (Baroque additions removed). Betw…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The base of the campanile is visible on the left.

    It is the seat of the Bishop of Pistoia and is dedicated to Saint Zeno of Verona. Most probably built in the 10th century, it has a façade in Romanesque style, inspired by other churches in Pistoia (San Bartolomeo and San Jacopo). The interior has a nave and two side-aisles, with a presbytery and crypt. A restoration in 1952-1999 returned the church to its original lines (Baroque additions removed). Between 1379 and 1440 the façade was recons…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The pulpit visible on the right was designed by Giorgio Vasari (1560).

    It is the seat of the Bishop of Pistoia and is dedicated to Saint Zeno of Verona. Most probably built in the 10th century, it has a façade in Romanesque style, inspired by other churches in Pistoia (San Bartolomeo and San Jacopo). The interior has a nave and two side-aisles, with a presbytery and crypt. A restoration in 1952-1999 returned the church to its original lines (Baroque additions removed). Between 1379 and 1440 …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It is the third edifice built in the same site. The first one was erected after the Edict of Milan in 313 and destroyed by an earthquake on January 3, 1117. Rebuilt in Romanesque style, this was remodeled during the Renaissance beginning in 1551, until 1754; the façade remained unfinished. The appearance of the medieval church can be seen in the frescoes (1375-1380) by Giusto de’ Menabuoi in the annexed Baptistry.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The pulpit of the Siena Cathedral was sculpted between the end of 1265 and November 1268 by Nicola Pisano with the extensive participation of his son Giovanni Pisano and his assistants Arnolfo di Cambio and Lapo di Ricevuto. The pulpit was altered between 1329 and 1542, when the shaped pedestal was added; the compositional and visual sequence of the reliefs was also altered by the repositioning of the pulpit after the Council of Trent. The staircase dates from 1543 and was built by Bartolomeo…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The marble high altar of the presbytery was built in 1532 by Baldassarre Peruzzi. The enormous bronze ciborium is the work of Vecchietta (1467-1472, originally commissioned for the church of the Hospital of Santa Maria della Scala, across the square, and brought to the cathedral in 1506). At the sides of the high altar the uppermost angels are masterpieces by Francesco di Giorgio Martini (1439-1502).

    Dedicated from its earliest days as a Roman Catholic Marian church and now to Santa Maria As…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An open portico built at the expense of Pope Pius II (Aeneas Silvius Piccolomini) which faces the Piazza San Martino. The small, three-bay loggia is exceptional for its lack of sculptural detail. Three elegant travertine arches are supported by columns with Corinthian capitals. Across the top is a plain entablature with the inscription PIUS II PONT MAX GENTILIBUS SUI PICCOLOMINEIS.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Shows the earlier Gothic style of the church. The transept and the main chapel end with square-plan chapels with smaller, semi-circular apses on three sides.

    Giangaleazzo Visconti, 1st Duke of Milan, founded the Carthusian monastery, the Certosa, in fulfilment of his wife’s will of 1390. Work progressed slowly after Giangaleazzo’s death in 1402, but Francesco Sforza revitalized the project after becoming Duke of Milan in 1450. Guiniforte Solari guided construction through the period …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Before damage and restoration; the side volutes on the facade have been removed.

    The Cathedral (12th century), contains the remains of King Conrad, ruler of Germany and Sicily in the 13th century. The building had to be almost entirely rebuilt in 1919-1920, following the devastating 1908 earthquake, and again in 1943, after a fire triggered by Allied bombings. The original Norman structure can be recognized in the apsidal area. The façade has three late Gothic portals, the central of which p…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01