Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bolsena is known for a miracle said to have occurred there in 1263, when a Bohemian priest, in doubt about the doctrine of Transubstantiation, reported bleeding from the host he had consecrated at Mass. The Cappella del Corporale in Orvieto Cathedral lies on the north side of the main crossing. It was built between 1350 and 1356 to house the stained corporal of the miracle of Bolsena. The chapel also contains the tomb of St. Pietro Parenzo. The chapel is decorated with frescoes depicting on t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Pazzi Chapel was intended to emulate the Old Sacristy at S Lorenzo. (It has recently been suggested by Tractenberg that the Pazzi Chapel is not by Brunelleschi but by Michelozzo di Bartolomeo, a theory that has not yet received universal acceptance.) The design may date from 1423. Owing to the patron’s reluctance to make funds available, the Pazzi Chapel was not built until 1442-ca. 1465, after the death of Pazzi (who was buried in Santa Croce) and mostly after the death of Brunellesc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded in 1228 following the canonization ceremony for St. Francis, it is the mother church of the Franciscan Order. The building established many of the characteristics of Italian Gothic architecture. It is built into the side of a hill and comprises two churches known as the Upper Church and the Lower Church, and a crypt where the remains of the saint are interred. The fact that the building had to fulfill two functions, as a conventual church for a mendicant order and as a great centre of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Ponzio was responsible for construction of the Pauline Chapel (1605-1611) in S Maria Maggiore. Clement’s tomb was executed 1611-1613. Figure of Clement VIII was carved by Silla da Viggiu and the cornice figures by Pietro Bernini; features “The Peace of Henry IV and Philip III” by Ippolito Buzi and “The Coronation of Clement VIII” by Bernini, “The Canonization of St. Giacinto and St. Raimondo” by Giovanni Antonio Valsolde, “The Occupation of Ferrara”…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bologna’s votive and civic basilica is dedicated to Bologna’s patron saint (St. Petronius, eighth bishop of Bologna, reigned 431-450). The Gothic-style church was erected by the Commune between 1390 and the third quarter of the 17th century. Although unfinished, it dominates the skyline and ranks among the largest ecclesiastical buildings in Italy (44.27 m to the crowning of the vaults). Here Charles V was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Clement VII in 1530. The problem of the great unf…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Saint Costanzo is one of Perugia’s three patron saints. He is popularly described as the first bishop of Perugia, ca. 140 and was martyred during the reign of Marcus Aurelius. The church stands a few hundred yards outside of the city walls and has a beautiful wooden choir dating from ca. 1600.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It was built between 1350 and 1356 to house the stained corporal (chalice cloth) of the Miracle of Bolsena (1263). It is from this chapel that the reliquary with the corporal is transported for religious processions through the town on feast days. Painted 1357-1363, the frescoes are primarily the works of three Orvietan artists: Ugolini di Prete Ilario, Domenico di Meo, and Giovanni di Buccio Leonardelli. The 1358 aedicula-shaped tabernacle was designed by Nicola da Siena but finished by the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1673-1674 Bernini designed and executed the tabernacle and adoring angels in bronze for the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament in St Peter’s. The form of the tabernacle derives from the Tempietto di San Pietro in Montorio of Bramante, done in miniature. The wrought-iron grille around the chapel with the arms of Pope Urban VIII was designed by Francesco Borromini.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church of S. Luke was probably founded in the twelfth century with a simple façade, still visible, although enriched by an elegant portico in front of the entrance door, built in 1415. The interior was heavily rebuilt in the 17th century and restored in 1881. In front of the church stands the octagonal Cappella di Cristo Risorto (1502) attributed to Bernardino de Lera [Bernardino Bocoli], which reveals the influence of Giovanni di Domenico Battaggio, a Lombard follower of Bramante. It is …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The seat of the Bishop of Como. It is dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is commonly described as the last Gothic cathedral built in Italy, construction on it having begun, (on the site of the earlier Romanesque cathedral dedicated to Santa Maria Maggiore), in 1396, 10 years after the foundation of Milan Cathedral. The construction works, begun under the supervision of Lorenzo degli Spazzi di Laino, did not finish until 1770 with the raising of the Rococo cupola by Fil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Two baroque chapels were added in the 17th and 18th centuries, which are shut off from the rest of the church. Chapel of St. Benedict has a high-relief on the altar representing the Glory of St. Benedict, made by Ignazio Marabitti in 1776.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Sicily marked the climax of Norman ecclesiastical and artistic patronage on the is…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Images shows facade and southeast side apse of the Chapel of the Rosary. The Capella del Rosario (Chapel of the Rosary), built in 1582 to commemorate the victory of Lepanto. The statue (equestrian monument) is Bartolomeo Colleoni by Andrea del Verocchio.

    The Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo, known in the Venetian dialect as San Zanipolo, is one of the largest churches of Venice and has the status of a minor basilica. A huge brick edifice built in the Italian Gothic style, it is the principal…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public