Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Roman Catholic church. A church existed on the site by the 12th century but it was rebuilt and enlarged in the 16th century. The Baroque façade was built in 1613 and the bell tower completed in 1738. The Loggia del Papa, adjacent to the church, is a 15th-century Renaissance architecture, open-air arcade.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tomb of Giangaleazzo Visconti (d 1402) was made in the 1490s by Gian Cristoforo, Briosco and others. Its iconography is surprisingly secular, emphasizing the deeds of Giangaleazzo but lacking the New Testament reliefs that characterized contemporary Lombard tombs.

    Giangaleazzo Visconti, 1st Duke of Milan, founded the Carthusian monastery, the Certosa, in fulfilment of his wife’s will of 1390. Work progressed slowly after Giangaleazzo’s death in 1402, but Francesco Sforza revitali…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The large nave is 100 metres long and gives an impression of austerity. Pulpit is visible on the left; commissioned by the Rucellai family in 1443, was designed by Filippo Brunelleschi.

    The second design commissioned by Giovanni Rucellai, the spectacular green-and-white patterned stone façade of S Maria Novella, was begun in or soon after 1458, the year in which Rucellai obtained rights of patronage, and was probably completed in 1470. For this project, Alberti was not only faced with the pr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The current edifice is largely a reconstruction from 1498-1504. The dome, built between 1504 and 1508, perhaps on a design by Cozzarelli was built at the expense of the signore of Siena, Pandolfo Petrucci. It has a notable Renaissance portal (1519) by Baldassarre Peruzzi, while the interior houses numerous artworks by artists including Il Sodoma and Francesco Vanni. The sacristy is located where there was once a cloister.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Designed by the Dominican friars Fra Benvenuto da Imola and Fra Nicola da Imola. It took its name from a pre-existing temple built by King Theoderic the Great. Since 1307, it is in fact co-entitled to St. Peter of Verona, martyr and co-patron of the city. Unfinished, the façade is mostly in brickwork, with a rose window. The Pellegrini Chapel (ca. 1430) houses the late International Gothic fresco of St. George and the Princess of Trebizond by Pisanello as well as the grave of Wilhelm von Bibr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built by the Augustine order (Hermits of St. Augustine) as part of a monastery (no longer extant) between 1339 and 1345 by incorporating the former church of S Giacomo in Braida. The current building underwent an extensive remodeling of interior spaces in 1553-1737. It is a three-nave church with four chapels, including the chapel of Bonifacio Bembo Cavalcabò. There is a panel by Perugino, now part of the fifth altar.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rome, Italy - Basilica di San Lorenzo fuori le Mura

    The basilica of San Lorenzo fuori le Mura is one of the most important basilica churches and one of the Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome. The basilica is the shrine tomb of the church’s namesake, Saint Lawrence, one of the first seven deacons of Rome martyred in 258. Pope Pius IX, awaiting canonization into sainthood, is also buried at the basilica. Before the present-day basilica was constructed, the estate upon which it sits was once ho…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The presbytery is separated by an altar screen formed by eight red marble columns crowned with a high Crucifix and statues by Pier Paolo and Jacobello Dalle Masegne, masterpiece of Gothic sculpture (late 14th century).

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He p…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pala d'Oro (Italian, “Golden Pall” or “Golden Cloth”) is the high altar retable of the Basilica di San Marco in Venice. It is universally recognized as one of the most refined and accomplished works of Byzantine craftsmanship, with both front and rear sides decorated. The altarpiece consists of two parts. The lower part, with enamels illustrating the story of Saint Mark, the doge’s portrait, and the Pantocrator group, originated as an antependium commissioned by th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The ciborium above the high altar by Arnolfo di Cambio is dated 1285 and inscribed hoc opus fecit arnulfus cum suo socio petro. The ciborium was donated by Abbot Bartolomeo, who is shown presenting St Paul with a model of the ciborium in the spandrels of the western arch. The Gothic canopy is supported on antique porphyry columns and is richly ornamented with superb foliate capitals, small corner statues in a classicizing style, relief figures and Cosmatesque mosaic decoration .

    [Almost tota…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally part of a Hieronymite monastery. In 1522 a new church was constructed, designed by one of the brothers, Ludovico Barcella, consecrated in 1539. This new place of worship becomes the main church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, while the former church of Santa Maria Palazzolo becomes an attached shrine. In 1668 the suppression of the order of the Hieronymites, decreed by Pope Clement IX, leads to the installation of the Jesuits, who acquire the cloisters adjoining the church, establishi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This pilgrimage church, in which the relics of the Early Christian Bishop Zeno (died 380) are venerated, is one of the most unified of Romanesque ensembles, despite being rebuilt and modified throughout the 12th century. It is set at the northern edge of the town, adjacent to an old cemetery that included the legendary tomb of Pippin, King of the Lombards. The façade of the basilica is rich in stone and bronze sculpture, and the interior, with its trifoliate, late 14th-century ceiling, bears …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public