Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    St-Pierre was built on the south side of Caen Chateau in the 13th and 14th centuries, and an ornate Renaissance east end was added in the early 16th century. It is a fine example of the transition between Gothic and Renaissance forms. The church is best known for its 75m (245 ft) tower of 1308, whose soaring spire was destroyed in 1944 and subsequently restored. The interior features an elegant Gothic nave and an elaborate Renaissance apse, with rich decoration and unusual vaulting.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    St-Pierre was built on the south side of Caen Chateau in the 13th and 14th centuries, and an ornate Renaissance east end was added in the early 16th century. It is a fine example of the transition between Gothic and Renaissance forms. The church is best known for its 75m (245 ft) tower of 1308, whose soaring spire was destroyed in 1944 and subsequently restored. The interior features an elegant Gothic nave and an elaborate Renaissance apse, with rich decoration and unusual vaulting.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Louis Graves, Beauvaisien archaeologist, proposed to the Committee on Historical Monuments to close the church because of structural decay. It is classified an historic monument April 25, 1846. In 1892 money is finally released for repairs.

    The church of Saint-Étienne is a Romanesque-Gothic building (rebuilt after 1180-1220). It has a Romanesque nave of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries and a Gothic choir of the sixteenth century. The north transept has exterior sculpture around one of th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rocamadour was a dependency of the abbey of Tulle. The buildings of Rocamadour (from ròca, cliff, and Sant Amador) rise in stages up the side of a cliff on the right bank of the Alzou river, which here runs between rocky walls 400 ft. in height. Flights of steps ascend from the lower town to the churches, a group of massive buildings halfway up the cliff. The chief of them is the pilgrimage church of Notre Dame. On the summit of the cliff stands the château built in the Middle Ages to defend …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Benedictine abbey church houses the relic of the Precious Blood and was listed as an historic monument in 1840. William the Conqueror moved his court to Fécamp in 1066. In 1106, after the relic had become a major pilgrimage site, the abbey was enlarged before being destroyed by lightning in 1168. A new Gothic church was then built by Father Henri de Sully and was completed in the thirteenth century. The Neoclassical facade was added by the Maurists in the 18th century. The interior has th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A minor Romanesque basilica. The church is now dedicated to the Sacré-Coeur. The counts of Chalon founded a monastery dedicated to the Virgin and St John the Baptist at Paray-le-Monial in AD 973 and gave it to the Cluny Abbey in 999. By the last quarter of the 11th century the complex stood on its present site. The construction of the church has traditionally been linked to St. Hugh, Abbot of Cluny (1049-1109). Visions experienced by the Visitation nun St. Margaret Mary Alacoque in the 1670s …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A minor Romanesque basilica. The church is now dedicated to the Sacré-Coeur. The counts of Chalon founded a monastery dedicated to the Virgin and St John the Baptist at Paray-le-Monial in AD 973 and gave it to the Cluny Abbey in 999. By the last quarter of the 11th century the complex stood on its present site. The construction of the church has traditionally been linked to St. Hugh, Abbot of Cluny (1049-1109). Visions experienced by the Visitation nun St. Margaret Mary Alacoque in the 1670s …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Notre-Dame-de-Lorette renewed the basilican type for church design but incorporated archaeological details from the portico of the Doric temple at Cori, southeast of Rome, and the Corinthian capitals of the Temple of Antoninus and Faustina in the Forum Romanum. The church was most noted for its rich interior painted decoration, both frescoes and panel paintings in the nave clerestory, (by Eugène Deveria) as well as for its subtle adaptation to the new axes of the city suburbs.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The square is a tiny park adjoining Notre Dame de Paris on the east side named after Pope John XXIII. The central sculpture within the neo-Gothic spire is the Virgin and Child, sculpted by Merlieux. The lower part of the fountain shows three archangels defeating the allegorical figure of heresy. The fountain is known as the Archbishop’s Fountain as the area, since the 17th century, had been the site of the Archbishop’s Palace and garden.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The site it occupies was once the Roman forum of Trajan, the forum vetus, thus its name. It was built with private funds between 1872 and 1896 in a dominating position in the city, as a mark of the triumph of Christian values over the socialists of the Lyon commune of 1870, like the similarly-inspired Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, Paris. Its design, by Pierre Bossan, draws from both Romanesque and Byzantine architecture, two non-Gothic models that were unusual choices at the time.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The collegiate church of St Urbain epitomizes the high degree of refinement and sophistication achieved by French Rayonnant architecture during the third quarter of the 13th century. St Urbain was founded by Pope Urban IV in May 1262 on the site of his birthplace. Although attempts have been made to attribute St Urbain to Jean Langlois, mentioned as ‘magister operis’ in a fabric account, it seems more likely that he was a financial official charged with disbursing papal funds. Thus th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The lintel (top right) contains scenes from the life of Saint Mary Magdalene. The tympanum of this portal portrays the Last Judgement. This portal was largely re-carved in 1856-1857.

    Former Cluniac abbey and pilgrimage church in Burgundy, France. Founded in the mid-9th century by Girart de Roussillon. Vézelay’s prosperity in the 11th and 12th centuries was based on its possession of the putative relics of St Mary Magdalene; the abbey declined from the late 13th century. The iconography o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01