Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally part of a Benedictine convent (destroyed in Napoleonic times). For S Maria in Organo, Sanmicheli designed a stone façade (1547) that was completed only up to the level of the main entablature; above it there would probably have been an attic storey with a pediment at the centre. The composition, with a central portal and side windows, is common to other Veronese churches. The most famous works inside the church are the wood inlays (intarsia) of the choir and sacristy, which depict …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The façade shows the typical bichrome marble decoration of the Pistoiese Romanesque style, executed in the mid-12th century by Gruamonte and his brother Adeodatus, who was also responsible for the sculptures and for the portal’s architrave depicting the “Voyage of the Magi”.

    Giovanni Pisano’s first pulpit, in S Andrea, Pistoia, was begun ca. 1298, partly executed in Pisa and finished in 1301, the date of the inscription, which describes the sculptor as the ‘son of Nicol…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The sanctuary (Santuario della Santa Casa) consists of the basilica of S Maria, beneath the dome of which is situated the Santa Casa, the Holy House of the Virgin, encased within a structure designed by Bramante in 1509. The birthplace of the Virgin in Nazareth was popularly believed to have been rescued from infidels by angels, who transported finally to its present location in December 1295. The basilica is a Late Gothic structure continued by Giuliano da Maiano, Giuliano da Sangallo and Br…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded by the Dominicans in 1125 as part of their friary. Also known as Basilica Cateriniana, since it contains several relics of St. Catherine of Siena, whose family house is nearby. The interior is on the Egyptian cross plan with a huge nave covered by trusses and with a transept featuring high chapels. The bell tower was reduced in height after an earthquake in 1798.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The adjective fuoricivitas (a mix of Italian and Latin meaning “outside the city”) refers to the fact that, when it was founded during the Lombard rule in Italy, was located outside the city walls. Its appearance is mostly defined by its northern side, originally parallel to now disappeared walls. The southern side faces the cloister, while the apse side and the façade are barely visible due to the nearby edifices. The northern side has most of the external decorations, including a …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Pazzi Chapel was intended to emulate the Old Sacristy at S Lorenzo. (It has recently been suggested by Tractenberg that the Pazzi Chapel is not by Brunelleschi but by Michelozzo di Bartolomeo, a theory that has not yet received universal acceptance.) The design may date from 1423. Owing to the patron’s reluctance to make funds available, the Pazzi Chapel was not built until 1442-ca. 1465, after the death of Pazzi (who was buried in Santa Croce) and mostly after the death of Brunellesc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    When the site was assigned to Dominican Order in 1221, they decided to build a new church and an adjoining cloister.

    The second design commissioned by Giovanni Rucellai, the spectacular green-and-white patterned stone façade of S Maria Novella, was begun in or soon after 1458, the year in which Rucellai obtained rights of patronage, and was probably completed in 1470. For this project, Alberti was not only faced with the problem of devising a classical scheme for a church with a tall nave an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Giangaleazzo Visconti, 1st Duke of Milan, founded the Carthusian monastery, the Certosa, in fulfilment of his wife’s will of 1390. Work progressed slowly after Giangaleazzo’s death in 1402, but Francesco Sforza revitalized the project after becoming Duke of Milan in 1450. Guiniforte Solari guided construction through the period of its most concentrated activity in the second half of the 15th century. The church was consecrated on 3 May 1497, although work continued until the French in…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tomb of Giangaleazzo Visconti (d 1402) was made in the 1490s by Gian Cristoforo, Briosco and others. Its iconography is surprisingly secular, emphasizing the deeds of Giangaleazzo but lacking the New Testament reliefs that characterized contemporary Lombard tombs.

    Giangaleazzo Visconti, 1st Duke of Milan, founded the Carthusian monastery, the Certosa, in fulfilment of his wife’s will of 1390. Work progressed slowly after Giangaleazzo’s death in 1402, but Francesco Sforza revitali…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The large nave is 100 metres long and gives an impression of austerity. Pulpit is visible on the left; commissioned by the Rucellai family in 1443, was designed by Filippo Brunelleschi.

    The second design commissioned by Giovanni Rucellai, the spectacular green-and-white patterned stone façade of S Maria Novella, was begun in or soon after 1458, the year in which Rucellai obtained rights of patronage, and was probably completed in 1470. For this project, Alberti was not only faced with the pr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    S Pudenziana (ca. 390), was converted from a domus ecclesiae. Dedicated to Saint Pudentiana, sister of Saint Praxedis and daughter of Saint Pudens. This church was the residence of the pope until, in 313, emperor Constantine offered them the Lateran Palace. In the 4th century, during the pontificate of Pope Siricius, the building was transformed into a three-naved church. The entrance is below street level. The Romanesque belltower was added in the early 13th century. Francesco da Volterra [C…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Church of the Holy Crucifix (the largest church) is located out of view, to the right (corner visible).

    This group of monastic buildings dates chiefly from the Romanesque period, although the complex originated much earlier, and fragments of earlier buildings survive. The complex as a whole is documented from the 9th century with the title ‘Santo Stefano detto Gerusalemme’, or ‘Sancta Gerusalemme’. None of the surviving churches now bears the name of S Stefano. It is locally …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01