Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The inner court has lower arches supported by square columns with pilasters, while in the upper ones they are supported by shorter round columns in Carrara marble.

    It was built from 1493 to 1517 by Rodrigo Arias de Maldonado, a knight of the Order of Santiago de Compostela and a professor in the University of Salamanca. Its most peculiar feature is the façade, mixing late Gothic and Plateresque style, decorated with more than 300 shells, symbol of the order of Santiago, as well as of the pil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A villa on Lake Como. It was built for the Milanese marquis Giorgio Clerici in 1690. An Italian garden, with steps, fountains and sculptures was laid out at the same time. The architect who designed the villa is unknown. It was completed in 1745, and remained in the hands of marquis Clerici until 1795, when it passed by marriage to the banker and Napoleonic politician Giambattista Sommariva, who added a pediment and clock. In 1843, it was given as a wedding present by Princess Marianna of Pru…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Faces the peninsula of Bellagio.

    A villa on Lake Como. It was built for the Milanese marquis Giorgio Clerici in 1690. An Italian garden, with steps, fountains and sculptures was laid out at the same time. The architect who designed the villa is unknown. It was completed in 1745, and remained in the hands of marquis Clerici until 1795, when it passed by marriage to the banker and Napoleonic politician Giambattista Sommariva, who added a pediment and clock. In 1843, it was given as a wedding p…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Organ Fountain was famous for the hydraulic-pneumatic technology that made this water-and-air-powered musical fountain possible in the 16th century. It was recently cleaned and restored so it again produces sound.

    Villa on the edge of the town, famous for its fine gardens with their spectacular fountains and waterworks. In 1550 Ippolito II d'Este (i), Cardinal of Ferrara, was appointed governor of Tivoli. He decided to transform the governor’s residence located in a portion of an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The system by which water is conveyed to the park (1753-1769) is one of the greatest technical achievements of the 18th century; 42 km long, it includes a spectacular aqueduct, the Archi della Valle, of antique proportions (528 m length x 60 m height).

    Constructed for the Bourbon kings of Naples. It was the largest palace and one of the largest buildings erected in Europe during the 18th century, “the swan song of the Baroque period.” The Bourbon king Charles VII of Naples (from 17…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The system by which water is conveyed to the park (1753-1769) is one of the greatest technical achievements of the 18th century; 42 km long, it includes a spectacular aqueduct, the Archi della Valle, of antique proportions (528 m length x 60 m height).

    Constructed for the Bourbon kings of Naples. It was the largest palace and one of the largest buildings erected in Europe during the 18th century, “the swan song of the Baroque period.” The Bourbon king Charles VII of Naples (from 17…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Constructed for the Bourbon kings of Naples. It was the largest palace and one of the largest buildings erected in Europe during the 18th century, “the swan song of the Baroque period.” The Bourbon king Charles VII of Naples (from 1759 King Charles III of Spain) decided to make Caserta the site of a royal residence in imitation of Versailles. During the 1780s such artists as Fidele Fischetti and Domenico Mondo produced frescoes for various rooms. It was not fully furnished until the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Taj Mahal complex is bounded on three sides by crenellated red sandstone walls, with the river-facing side left open. Outside the walls are several additional mausoleums. The main gateway (darwaza) is a monumental structure. The face is a grand recessed arch (iwan) set within a rectangular frame and flanked by alcoves in two storeys, like the facade of the Taj Mahal. Its pishtaq arches also incorporate the calligraphy that decorates the tomb. It utilizes bas-relief and pietra dura inlaid …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Situated just north of the Jahangiri Mahal is the Shah Jahan-period Khas Mahal (“Private Palace”). On the east it overlooks the river and on the west the Anguri Bagh (a four-plot garden), with water channels, fountains and cascades. The main building, of pure white marble, was profusely painted with floral patterns, which are now faded. It is situated on a terrace flanked by red sandstone pavilions that were plastered white. Each of these has a curved cornice, derived from Indian, p…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally built by Christophe Perrot in 1622. It was formerly the residence of Joséphine de Beauharnais, (later the Empress) and with the Tuileries, was from 1800 to 1802 the headquarters of the French government. It is the most complete expression of the Consulate style, and owed more perhaps to the taste of Empress Josephine than to Napoleon. Fontaine and Percier were received at Malmaison on 31 December 1799 and presented to First Consul Bonaparte by the painter Jacques-Louis David. They …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public