Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Shows the Gothic fortifications.

    The massive Palais des Papes, the powerful walls and eight high towers of which still dominate the city, is both an outstanding achievement of Late Gothic architecture and a highly visible emblem of the most glorious period of Avignon’s history. Its sprawling and dissonant appearance expresses the turbulent period in which it was erected and the diverse characters of the men responsible for its construction. It is, in fact, two distinct palaces: the Palai…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Le Vau proposed in 1668 a plan which preserved the original château at the centre, surrounding it by an ‘enveloppe’, which entirely screened it from the garden side but left it visible from the courtyard. The new building was in white ashlar. The palace interiors were fitted up in the 1670s while building works continued: the apartments of the King and Queen were decorated in marbles of various colours, and the ceiling paintings were entrusted to Charles Le Brun and his team. The enla…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Probably decorated at the time of Marie Antoinette by Richard Mique.

    The château was expanded by Phillipe de France, duc d'Orléans in the 17th century, and finally enlarged by Marie Antoinette in the 1780s. Napoleon I and Napoleon III also used the palace, which was a U-shaped scheme of three sections, open to the east. Destroyed by fire (with the exception of a few outbuildings and its majestic garden) in 1870, during the Franco-Prussian War. The burned-out shell stood until 1891, when …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Town and château in France, 20 km south-west of Paris. A hunting-lodge built for King Louis XIII in 1623 was rebuilt with extensive gardens from 1631. Under King Louis XIV it became the main royal residence and the seat of the French government from 1682. The château was enlarged in two main phases, first by Louis Le Vau from 1668, then, from 1678, by Jules Hardouin Mansart. The interior decorations were carried out under the supervision of the Premier Peintre du Roi, Charles Le Brun. Versail…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Le Vau proposed in 1668 a plan which preserved the original château at the centre, surrounding it by an ‘enveloppe’, which entirely screened it from the garden side but left it visible from the courtyard. The new building was in white ashlar. The palace interiors were fitted up in the 1670s while building works continued: the apartments of the King and Queen were decorated in marbles of various colours, and the ceiling paintings were entrusted to Charles Le Brun and his team. The enla…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This was the oldest section, begun 1660.

    The château was expanded by Phillipe de France, duc d'Orléans in the 17th century, and finally enlarged by Marie Antoinette in the 1780s. Napoleon I and Napoleon III also used the palace, which was a U-shaped scheme of three sections, open to the east. Destroyed by fire (with the exception of a few outbuildings and its majestic garden) in 1870, during the Franco-Prussian War. The burned-out shell stood until 1891, when it was demolished. The garde…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01