Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original is in Nantes Cathedral. Large scale plaster cast collections (such as the Cast Court of the Victoria and Albert Museum) were very popular ca. 1870-1910.

    The construction of the cathedral began in 1434, on the site of a Romanesque cathedral, and took 457 years to finish, finally reaching completion in 1891. The first architect in charge was Guillaume de Dammartin who was later replaced by Mathurin Rodier. The construction began with the west façade, the aisles of the nave and its…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This has been attributed to Jean Goujon. However, the marble sculptures on the tomb (1544) of Louis de Brézé, husband of Diane de Poitiers, do not correspond to Goujon’s style in execution; it is possible that he provided only the design for this remarkable two-storey classical structure, which has Corinthian columns on the lower tier and pairs of caryatids articulating the upper register.

    The present building comprises an aisled nave of 11 bays, with a series of aisle chapels, and an ap…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Early in 1755 Soufflot was appointed to provide plans for Ste Geneviève, the new church promised by Louis XV to house the reliquary of the city’s patron saint. A collection of drawings (Paris, Bib. N.) and Claude Boulleau’s engraving of 1764 show the building in its ‘ideal’ state in that year. Built partly over a crypt, where, for the first time, Soufflot used the Doric order of Paestum, it owes its grandeur to his use of the same colossal Corinthian order both inside and out….

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Inside the cathedral are the tomb of Francis II, Duke of Brittany and of his wife Marguerite de Foix, (the parents of Anne of Brittany), made at the beginning of the 16th century by Michel Colombe and Jean Perréal.

    The construction of the cathedral began in 1434, on the site of a Romanesque cathedral, and took 457 years to finish, finally reaching completion in 1891. The first architect in charge was Guillaume de Dammartin who was later replaced by Mathurin Rodier. The construction began wit…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Marble and alabaster tomb in the choir of Rouen Cathedral, which depicted the deceased kneeling. Completed in 1523, it was transformed in 1525 to serve as a cenotaph for Georges II as well. The monument is profusely carved and includes Virtues, Saints, Apostles, a prominent relief of St George and the Dragon, and others with Italianate candelabra, swags and grotesques. Roulland Le Roux was overseer, assisted by the sculptors João de Ruão, who began the weepers, Mathieu Laignel (fl 1513-25), R…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The exceptionally well-lit choir, shielded from the nave by the screen , retains much of its stained glass, executed between 1525 and 1531 by a workshop from Lyon. The axial window contains glass representing Noli me tangere (upper part) and the Appearance of Christ to his Mother (lower part), after engravings by Albrecht Dürer; to the left and right are Philibert and Margaret kneeling with their patron saints, their coats of arms above.

    Former Benedictine priory church, dedicated to St Nich…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01