Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1855 Haussmann completed an enormous new boulevard, originally called boulevard de Sébastopol-rive-gauche, now called Boulevard Saint-Michel, which opened up the small place Pont-Saint-Michel into a much larger space. Davioud was charged with the new facades and fountain of the square. The prefect authorities asked to build a fountain to hide the end wall of the building at the corner of boulevard Saint-Michel and Saint-André des Arts. The iconography is the Archangel Michael wrestling the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    St-Pierre was built on the south side of Caen Chateau in the 13th and 14th centuries, and an ornate Renaissance east end was added in the early 16th century. It is a fine example of the transition between Gothic and Renaissance forms. The church is best known for its 75m (245 ft) tower of 1308, whose soaring spire was destroyed in 1944 and subsequently restored. The interior features an elegant Gothic nave and an elaborate Renaissance apse, with rich decoration and unusual vaulting.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Louis Graves, Beauvaisien archaeologist, proposed to the Committee on Historical Monuments to close the church because of structural decay. It is classified an historic monument April 25, 1846. In 1892 money is finally released for repairs.

    The church of Saint-Étienne is a Romanesque-Gothic building (rebuilt after 1180-1220). It has a Romanesque nave of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries and a Gothic choir of the sixteenth century. The north transept has exterior sculpture around one of th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Shows the Gothic fortifications.

    The massive Palais des Papes, the powerful walls and eight high towers of which still dominate the city, is both an outstanding achievement of Late Gothic architecture and a highly visible emblem of the most glorious period of Avignon’s history. Its sprawling and dissonant appearance expresses the turbulent period in which it was erected and the diverse characters of the men responsible for its construction. It is, in fact, two distinct palaces: the Palai…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Dauphin Fountain, by François Masson, commemorates the marriage of the Dauphin, the future Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in 1770.

    Built by Mathieu Réaulme, the building is covered with exuberant carving of animals, real and fantastic. There are nine canopied niches, probably meant to hold the “brave nine” heroes, a common theme in town halls. Nine heroes of three ages, (pagan, Jewish, Christian): Hector, Alexander and Caesar, Joshua, David and Judah Maccabee, Arthur, Charlemagne a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The collegiate church of St Urbain epitomizes the high degree of refinement and sophistication achieved by French Rayonnant architecture during the third quarter of the 13th century. St Urbain was founded by Pope Urban IV in May 1262 on the site of his birthplace. Although attempts have been made to attribute St Urbain to Jean Langlois, mentioned as ‘magister operis’ in a fabric account, it seems more likely that he was a financial official charged with disbursing papal funds. Thus th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original is in Nantes Cathedral. Large scale plaster cast collections (such as the Cast Court of the Victoria and Albert Museum) were very popular ca. 1870-1910.

    The construction of the cathedral began in 1434, on the site of a Romanesque cathedral, and took 457 years to finish, finally reaching completion in 1891. The first architect in charge was Guillaume de Dammartin who was later replaced by Mathurin Rodier. The construction began with the west façade, the aisles of the nave and its…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A work attributed to Lescot, in collaboration with Goujon, is the Hôtel Carnavalet (ca. 1545-1550) in Paris, subsequently altered three times. This was originally built for a a magistrate associated with the Lescot family. A former name is the the Hôtel de Ligneris. It is now the Musee Carnavalet (Carnavalet Museum). The Hôtel Carnavalet was redone in 1655 by Francois Mansart, for Madame De Sevigne, who lived here from 1677 to 1696. In this period (1655-1661) Van Opstal sculpted the stone rel…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A work attributed to Lescot, in collaboration with Goujon, is the Hôtel Carnavalet (ca. 1545-1550) in Paris, subsequently altered three times. This was originally built for a a magistrate associated with the Lescot family. A former name is the the Hôtel de Ligneris. It is now the Musee Carnavalet (Carnavalet Museum). The Hôtel Carnavalet was redone in 1655 by Francois Mansart, for Madame De Sevigne, who lived here from 1677 to 1696. In this period (1655-1661) Van Opstal sculpted the stone rel…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The lintel above the doorway, showing two scenes from the Lives of SS Hubert and Christopher, is the most impressive sculpture to survive and is probably the work of Netherlandish sculptors, including Casin d'Utrecht.

    Built in the eleventh century on a promontory overlooking the Loire River to control a strategic ford that was replaced in the Middle Ages by a bridge. Expanded and improved over time, on 4 September 1434 it was seized by Charles VII of France. Once in royal hands, the chât…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church of Saint-Austremoine is built on the site of an older chapel raised over the tomb of St. Austremoine (Stremonius). It dates from the twelfth century. In 1832, the church became an historic listed building, after which the facade was restored, and the two towers rebuilt. Between 1855 and 1860, Anatole Dauvergne was commissioned to paint the interior, including the sculpted capitals. The result is subject to controversy, but the somewhat garish colors are probably close to the origin…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Formerly a small study of Louis XVI, redecorated for Napoleon in 1811 with a small camp bed of gilt iron and a Empire style desk by Jacob Desmalter.

    In April 1528 Francis I commissioned Gilles Le Breton for a programme of building (completed 1540) at Fontainebleau. The Cour de l'Ovale was to be rebuilt using the old foundations and retaining the old keep, while a gallery, now the Galerie François I, was to be constructed linking this with the Trinitarian abbey to the west, which was soon…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01