Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally part of a Benedictine convent (destroyed in Napoleonic times). For S Maria in Organo, Sanmicheli designed a stone façade (1547) that was completed only up to the level of the main entablature; above it there would probably have been an attic storey with a pediment at the centre. The composition, with a central portal and side windows, is common to other Veronese churches. The most famous works inside the church are the wood inlays (intarsia) of the choir and sacristy, which depict …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Along the Grand Canal the number of “fondaco” houses increased, buildings combining the warehouse on the canal level and the merchant’s residence above. Ca’ Sagredo started in this manner, with alterations by Andrea Tirali in the 18th century. (The Sagredo acquired the building from a branch of the Morosini in the 18th century.) The interior decoration includes a three-flight staircase by Tirali and paintings by Pietro Longhi, Andrea Urbani and Giovanni Battista Tiepolo. The…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revisions with them. In the 18 remaining years of his life Michelangelo succeeded in ‘uniting into a whole the great…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    One of two colossal basins, completed 1725 by Agostino Cornacchini; this one is on the south side of the nave.

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revision…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    One of Bologna’s most remarkable buildings is located in Via D'Azeglio, built between 1477 and 1482 by jurist Niccolò Sanuti. The building greatly differs from Bolognese architectural canons, and looks more like Tuscan Renaissance buildings. The use of rustication on the facade like the Palazzo dei Diamanti in Ferrara is interesting. The internal courtyard with its two loggias is ornately decorated with sculptures and terra cotta relief work. Paul III held some of the Council of Trent…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The marble high altar of the presbytery was built in 1532 by Baldassarre Peruzzi. The enormous bronze ciborium is the work of Vecchietta (1467-1472, originally commissioned for the church of the Hospital of Santa Maria della Scala, across the square, and brought to the cathedral in 1506). At the sides of the high altar the uppermost angels are masterpieces by Francesco di Giorgio Martini (1439-1502).

    Dedicated from its earliest days as a Roman Catholic Marian church and now to Santa Maria As…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revisions with them. In the 18 remaining years of his life Michelangelo succeeded in ‘uniting into a whole the great…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Church of the Holy Crucifix (the largest church) is located out of view, to the right (corner visible).

    This group of monastic buildings dates chiefly from the Romanesque period, although the complex originated much earlier, and fragments of earlier buildings survive. The complex as a whole is documented from the 9th century with the title ‘Santo Stefano detto Gerusalemme’, or ‘Sancta Gerusalemme’. None of the surviving churches now bears the name of S Stefano. It is locally …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revisions with them. In the 18 remaining years of his life Michelangelo succeeded in ‘uniting into a whole the great…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Stands next to the Baptistry, visible on the left. The Piazza del Duomo is a market square.

    Documented in use in 1300, the palazzo was lived in by the city administrators (mayors or magistrates) of justice: in Medieval times, the governor and, under Medici rule, the Florentine commissaries. The original building was centered around the square courtyard and corresponds today to the first four windows on the left, under which one sees the doorway aligned on a central axis. In the 1300s a new a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Soldiers depicted looting a menorah from the Temple of Jerusalem. The menorah depicted on the Arch served as the model for the menorah used on the modern emblem of the State of Israel.

    The classic example of the single-aperture arch is the monumental Arch of Titus in the Forum Romanum. Relief panels in the passageways depict the triumph of Titus (Triumph of Titus and Spoils of Jerusalem), and a rectangular panel in the soffit of the arch shows his apotheosis. (The arch was built by the emper…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Mis-identified, but probably an interior in San Domenico.

    Church dedicated by Innocent IV in 1251 to St Dominic. It has been enlarged several times, and the present interiors are the work of Carlo Francesco Dotti, who remodelled (1728-1732) the church in the early 17th-century Bolognese style. It is notable chiefly as the home of the tomb of St Dominic, the Arca di S Domenico. The design of the tomb is generally credited to Nicola Pisano (now altered, with sculpture dispersed). The tomb stat…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01