Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

Mosques

Windmills

Architecture

Abbeys

Churches

Cathedrals

Fountains

Statues

Hotels

Castles

City Halls

Historical gardens

Palaces

Spatial Coverage

Amiens

Paris

Laon

Bourg-en-Bresse

Fontainebleau

Bayeux

Blois

Limoges

France

Mont-Saint-Michel

Strasbourg

Chartres

Versailles

Vézelay

Chantilly

Rouen

Arles

Saint-Denis

Caen

Dijon

Bourges

Reims

Chambord

Avignon

Chenonceaux

Périgueux

Parc de Saint-Cloud

Tours

Compiègne

Vincennes

Angoulême

Poitiers

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of France remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Until the 15th-century Valois rulers reconsolidated the power of the central monarchy, and the relaxation of the defensive character of the French fort proceeded at an irregular pace to the Flamboyant-style château, with its large windows, elegant tracery, open and elaborate staircases, high and diversified roof line and varied masses of corps de logis and pavilions reflecting the old enceinte of walls punctuated with bastions. Château d'Ussé is an outstanding example. In the seventeenth …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The square is a tiny park adjoining Notre Dame de Paris on the east side named after Pope John XXIII. The central sculpture within the neo-Gothic spire is the Virgin and Child, sculpted by Merlieux. The lower part of the fountain shows three archangels defeating the allegorical figure of heresy. The fountain is known as the Archbishop’s Fountain as the area, since the 17th century, had been the site of the Archbishop’s Palace and garden.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The public park is fifteen hectares in area, and it is styled as an English garden, a genre popular since the early 19th century. The park was ordained by Napoleon III and Baron Haussmann as part of a plan to add green areas to Paris. The water reservoir in the northeast portion of the park covers an historic entrance to the Paris catacombs. Jean-Claude Alphand (1817-1901), with the assistance of Edouard André (1827-1911), was in charge of laying out and improving the parks; the planting was …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The bronze statue (Hercules Battling Achelous in the form of a Serpent [814-1824] by François Joseph Bosio), has been moved to the Cour Puget of the Louvre.

    Le Nôtre’s career was doubtless determined at an early age, since his grandfather, Pierre, and his father, Jean, were both royal gardeners, who worked principally at the Palais des Tuileries. When his father retired in 1637, he was allowed by Louis XIII to pass on to his son his title of Premier Jardinier du Roi au Grand Jardin des T…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [The Hôtel du Soubise (former Hôtel de Clisson) was built on the site of the mansion of the Duc de Guise by Delamair between 1705 and 1712. The interior decoration is the work of Natoire, Boucher, Van Loo, Restout, Lemoyne and others. It has been the home of the Archives Nationales since 1808. The earlier entrance, the turreted Gothic gateway of 1380 (at 58 Rue des Archives) was part of the Hôtel de Clisson (1372-1375) built by the Constable Olivier de Clisson, a supporter of Charles V. The f…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The garden pavilion belongs to Louis XII’s building campaign, possibly designed by Colin Biart. Anne of Brittany was consort to both Charles VIII and Louis XII.

    In its present form it consists mainly of buildings undertaken in the 16th century by Louis XII and Francis I and in the 17th century by Gaston d'Orléans (1608-1660), brother of Louis XIII. The twin-aisled, arcaded Great Hall (or Salle des Etats-Généraux) built by Theobald VI (reigned 1205-1218) survives from the Gothic phase…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The gardens were remade by André Le Nôtre from 1669 to 1673, and include a 2.4 kilometre long stone terrace which provides a view over the valley of the Seine and, in the distance, Paris.

    The first castle, named the Grand Châtelet, was built on the site by Louis VI ca 1124. The castle was expanded by Louis IX of France in the 1230s. Louis IX’s chapelle Saint Louis (Sainte-Chapelle) at the castle is a major work of the Rayonnant phase of French Gothic architecture. It served as a prototyp…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Henry IV laid out the Parterre du Tibre south of the Cour de l'Ovale and the Cour des Offices. It was so called because of the statue and fountain at its centre. Under Louis XIII, Louis Le Vau redesigned the Parterre du Tibre (1662).

    Henry IV made considerable alterations and additions to Fontainebleau. He enclosed a new courtyard (begun 1599) to the north of the Galerie François I and Cour de l'Ovale around the Jardin de la Reine (now the Jardin de Diane). The Jardin de Diane is now…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1761, on the advice of the Marquise de Pompadour, Louis XV commissioned Anges-Jacques Gabriel to build a pavilion within the Trianon gardens. Built from 1762 to 1768, the five-bay façades of white stone are articulated by fluted Corinthian columns and pilasters. The building has a basement, main floor and attic storey, but the basement is properly visible only on the side facing the botanical garden, leaving the salons themselves at courtyard level. Following his accession in 1774, Louis X…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1661, when Louis XIV began to enlarge the château of Versailles, the surrounding grounds were in a rudimentary state. The King acquired further land (at the end of his reign the estate extended over 2473 ha, now reduced to 815 ha) and had gardens designed and laid out by André Le Nôtre which would harmonize with Le Vau’s new building. Louis paid the greatest attention to the design of the gardens, visiting them daily whenever at Versailles. The grounds still retain the general structur…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1661, when Louis XIV began to enlarge the château of Versailles, the surrounding grounds were in a rudimentary state. The King acquired further land (at the end of his reign the estate extended over 2473 ha, now reduced to 815 ha) and had gardens designed and laid out by André Le Nôtre which would harmonize with Le Vau’s new building. Louis paid the greatest attention to the design of the gardens, visiting them daily whenever at Versailles. The grounds still retain the general structur…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1661, when Louis XIV began to enlarge the château of Versailles, the surrounding grounds were in a rudimentary state. The King acquired further land (at the end of his reign the estate extended over 2473 ha, now reduced to 815 ha) and had gardens designed and laid out by André Le Nôtre which would harmonize with Le Vau’s new building. Louis paid the greatest attention to the design of the gardens, visiting them daily whenever at Versailles. The grounds still retain the general structur…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public