Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    About 1530 Falconetto was commissioned by the Consiglio of the city of Padua to reshape the upper floor of the Monte di Pietà. In the same year he was put in charge of work on the Loggia del Consiglio, which had been planned since 1496 and was built to a design by Annibale Magi da Bassano (died 1504). [It was called the Loggia della Gran Guardia when it housed a military command during the Austrian rule.]

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1531-1532 the main entrance to the Palazzo del Capitanio, the seat of the Venetian governor on the Piazza dei Signori, Padua, was rebuilt to a design by Falconetto. It is an enlarged version of the central bay of the Loggia Cornaro, with the addition of paired Tuscan semi-columns. Instead of an antique frieze the architrave bears the inscription of the Doge of Venice, Andrea Gritti, and also the insignia of the two administrators Badoer and Moro, who represented Venice in Padua from 1531 t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [Santissima Annunziata is a Roman Catholic minor basilica in Florence and the mother church of the Servite order.] The most extraordinary and fascinating of Michelozzo’s architectural projects was the tribune of SS Annunziata, Florence. Its unprecedented circular plan with nine radiating chapels served as a presbytery, choir and funerary chapel. From the start of work (1444) the building was criticized by Brunelleschi and other architects, who suggested it was an unsuitable attachment to …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Central courtyard of small cloister is below and to the left. Giangaleazzo Visconti, 1st Duke of Milan, founded the Carthusian monastery, the Certosa, in fulfilment of his wife’s will of 1390. Work progressed slowly after Giangaleazzo’s death in 1402, but Francesco Sforza revitalized the project after becoming Duke of Milan in 1450. Guiniforte Solari guided construction through the period of its most concentrated activity in the second half of the 15th century. The church was consecra…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Grand Cloister (Italian: Chiostro Grande) measures ca.125 x 100 meters around a central courtyard.

    Giangaleazzo Visconti, 1st Duke of Milan, founded the Carthusian monastery, the Certosa, in fulfilment of his wife’s will of 1390. Work progressed slowly after Giangaleazzo’s death in 1402, but Francesco Sforza revitalized the project after becoming Duke of Milan in 1450. Guiniforte Solari guided construction through the period of its most concentrated activity in the second half of the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Renaissance arcaded loggia was built in 1502; decorated by a ceramic glaze frieze executed from 1525 by Santi Buglioni with tondos by Giovanni della Robbia.

    The name derives from the old custom of placing alms in a hollow tree trunk. In 1345 there were ongoing works for a new cloister, oratory and domus (residence for women). It became the main city’s hospital after the donations received in the wake of the Black Death of 1348. The hospital administrators commissioned the Florentine …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An open portico built at the expense of Pope Pius II (Aeneas Silvius Piccolomini) which faces the Piazza San Martino. The small, three-bay loggia is exceptional for its lack of sculptural detail. Three elegant travertine arches are supported by columns with Corinthian capitals. Across the top is a plain entablature with the inscription PIUS II PONT MAX GENTILIBUS SUI PICCOLOMINEIS.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The architect of the loggia is Sano di Matteo, built between 1417 and 1428 under his direction, then from 1428 to 1444 by Pietro del Minella in a transitional style between Gothic and Renaissance. Federighi was commissioned to add three sculptures of saints in 1457 (three of the four ancient town’s patron saints, San Savino, Sant'Ansano and San Vittore). A marble bench (ca. 1459-1464; in situ) for the Loggia, ornamented with reliefs of ancient Roman heroes on the front and the nursing…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The loggia consists of 13 arches forming a gallery 65 meters long and 4 meters wide. Painted largely by assistants to Raphael’s supervision, 1518-1519. The narrative paintings are Old Testament and painted by Giovan Francesco Penni; the lower pilasters were decorated with grotesque ornaments, both painted and in low-relief stucco by Giovanni da Udine.

    Pope Julius II established the Belvedere sculpture garden behind the Vatican Palace. The Museo Pio Clementino was constructed by Michelang…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pope Julius II established the Belvedere sculpture garden behind the Vatican Palace. The Museo Pio Clementino was constructed by Michelangelo Simonetti, to take the Belvedere sculptures into a new display and to make room for the frantic new collecting of antiquities on which the papacy embarked, which soon required the additional accommodation of the Galleria dei Candelabri. Once the papacy was committed to centralized conservation, the collections rapidly expanded in the form of different m…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It was founded in 1346, as the church of the Servite Community of the Blessed Virgin Mary and was designed by Padre Andrea da Faenza (died 1396). The facade is unfinished with the portico and arcade added in the 15th century. The piazza in front of the basilica was quite small and a wide arcade was able to be built around it, enclosing the entire square. Bologna was noted for the 34 km of arcaded streets at the time. It appears to have been modeled on the arcade built by Brunelleschi at the H…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Palladio’s structures ‘alla Romana’, erected to celebrate the entrance into the city of Bishop Ridolfi in September 1543, were in anticipation of the ideal Vicenza; after only a few minor experiments, the style passed from the status of ephemeral decoration to that of permanent construction. In addition to the loggias around the Palazzo della Ragione (also known as the Basilica; 1548) and the Loggia del Capitaniato (early 1570s), both public buildings, Palladio undertook many impo…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public